Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrench

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord (Wide B)

Thumbs up Torque Wrench

Hello again,

I've noticed that some people use torque wrenches when tightening screws. Is it necessary to have such a tool?

I'm planning to change my spark plugs (at least inspect them), and install new rear brake pads for the first time.

Thanks again.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Not really. I have a torque wrench, but unless it's for something specific or very important, I don't bother with it. In general, I have tight, v.tight and f.tight. Anything small, like 8-10mm will be tight, 11-14mm will be v.tight and 16mm+ will be f.tight. Of course, unless it's something that's got a big bolt simply because it's design to be hand tight, e.g sump plug = only tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord0791 View Post
    Hello again,

I've noticed that some people use torque wrenches when tightening screws. Is it necessary to have such a tool?

I'm planning to change my spark plugs (at least inspect them), and install new rear brake pads for the first time.

Thanks again.

Torque wrench is not needed for the above.
    Common sense is though.

Spark plugs are finger tight plus say 1/4 turn with socket and ratchet - enough to spread the washer on the plug.
    Brake pads are easy. Remember to tighten your wheel nuts priestly and when COLD

Accord0791
    Dickheads, wankers and kerbside mechanics don't use a torque wrench--a torque wrench should be your best friend --use it on every nut, bolt and screw.
    Rocker cover bolts-- (tighten from inside in a circular pattern slowly 2 or three times until you reach 12 N-m -8.7 lb/f)
    Manifold cover plate-- 12 N-m (8.7 lb/f)
    Other bolts --12 N-m
    Spark plugs --small amount anti-seize to threads hand tighten then slowly torque to 18 N-m -13 lb/f-- gap 1.0 to 1.1mm
    Rear brake caliper mounting bolts--37 N-m -27 lb/f
    Brake hose mounting bolt--22 N-m -16 lb/f
    Wheel nuts--108 N-m -80 lb/f
    regards

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by peter smith View Post
    Accord0791
    Dickheads, wankers and kerbside mechanics don't use a torque wrench--a torque wrench should be your best friend --use it on every nut, bolt and screw.
    Rocker cover bolts-- (tighten from inside in a circular pattern slowly 2 or three times until you reach 12 N-m -8.7 lb/f)
    Manifold cover plate-- 12 N-m (8.7 lb/f)
    Other bolts --12 N-m
    Spark plugs --small amount anti-seize to threads hand tighten then slowly torque to 18 N-m -13 lb/f-- gap 1.0 to 1.1mm
    Rear brake caliper mounting bolts--37 N-m -27 lb/f
    Brake hose mounting bolt--22 N-m -16 lb/f
    Wheel nuts--108 N-m -80 lb/f
    regards
    You forgot butt plugs, 60 N-m - 40 lb/f
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    Torque wrenches arent needed

If you are good enough to estimate your torque without one

I have met tyre fitters who can rattlegun a wheel on to within less that 5nm
    Thats pretty impressive when you think how tight truck tyres need to be

That being said im sure that they have done that nut up a few hundred thousand times to get that good

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Depends what you are torquing up. Engine rebuild? Yes use a torque wrench. Putting wheels on? No lol
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    Depends what you are torquing up. Engine rebuild? Yes use a torque wrench. Putting wheels on? No lol
    How much torque is needed for putting pants on?
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    Never work at a tyre fitting shop.

Tis policy to finish wheels by torque wrench

Even the guy i mentioned above does so.
    He doesnt need to being so close but he always does

Also if you snap and replace a stud you will want to use one for wheels

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    How much torque is needed for putting pants on?
    It's easier to take them off. Besides, you dun need them
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    If its woman pants sometimes you need more than a wrench to torque them out of them

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuras View Post
    If its woman pants sometimes you need more than a wrench to torque them out of them
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!