Urgent: Alternator problem?

Hi,

I have an 05 accord euro manual 140,000kms. My friend is driving the car atm. She said that today the battery light was on and when idle, the car was making a whirring noise. Anyway, long story short, the car has died after a long drive to geelong. Is it safe to assume the alternator is dead?

I've had some quotes that are quite expensive - $900+. I can pick up an alternator on ebay for $200-$300 on ebay. Are these any good? How easy is it to replace it myself?

I'll need to attend to this tomorrow. If I could get some feedback asap that would be hugely appreciated.

Alternatively, if anyone is in geelong and can do this tomorrow, that would be great.

Many thanks,

Adam

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    test battery voltage. if below 12.6v then charge it.

start car (assuming it was battery/alternator issue), with the car running, use multimeter to test voltage. should be above 13.7v

if below, alternator is rekt

Alternators are only a couple of bolts.

if you're not that mechanically competent, could take half or a whole day depending on how much of a vagina the location of the alternator is.
    SSpamily

Hi,

Thanks. Any chance it's not the alternator?

From what I can see is to replace it I need to loosen the alternator, should release tension on the belt, unplug cables and replace. Right?

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by adamc11 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks. Any chance it's not the alternator?

From what I can see is to replace it I need to loosen the alternator, should release tension on the belt, unplug cables and replace. Right?
    I can't diagnose ur car over net
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by cbauto View Post
    I can't diagnose ur car over net
    Haha. No worries. As the car is not with me, going to get RACV to diagnose it and then i'll replace it if it is.

Will that alternator on ebay be ok? If not, where can I get one in melbourne?

Thanks again

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Google.com
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by cbauto View Post
    Google.com
    Already tried that, but a lot of places that supply car parts do not have websites.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Go to ur local auto electrician. Buy a new one or take ur old one and change over
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    VTiR/CL9
    go wreckers

I bought the alternator from that ebay guy last year when mine went, can recommend him. He is located in thomastown melbourne.

Then get a mechanic to replace it if you cant (my friend did mine)

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Alt replacement is easy if you have a range of ring spanners and sockets knuckles and flex joints etc. yes it just plugs in. I wanted a genuine Denso unit so I paid a bit for it. Around $550. A 14mm flat long handled ring spanner is handy to remove belt from tensioner.