Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 EG5 Civic

EG5 check engine light starting problem

Hi Ozhonda,

I've been having an issue with starting my 1995 EG5 Civic VTi over the last couple of months. The problem is that my 'check engine light' remains on when the car is switched on, and most of the time takes a while before switching off. While the check engine light is on I am unable to start the engine. However, after waiting for the check engine light to switch itself off, I can hear the fuel pump whirl/prime and I am then able to start the engine.

I have already tried the following:

1. Tried to get an error code, but the check engine light stays on and does not blink while I have the paperclip in that harness.

2. I have replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one, still experiencing the same problem.

3. The wiring from the fuel pump to the main relay has been tested and there is conductivity.

4. I have replaced the main relay with a new one, still experience the same problem.

I currently have to wait between 1-15 minutes for the check engine light to switch off and the fuel pump to whirl/prime before I am able to start the engine.

I would really appreciate it if someone could assist me in solving this issue. My car is still drive-able however there's the annoying inconvenience of being unable to start without the 1-15 minute wait.

Thanks in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Did you reset the ecu? Take negative terminal off battery for 15 mins, or remove fuse 7.5A in the under hood fuse box.

I'd be checking all grounds as well, never know
    SSpamily

hehe

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Your ECU is the problem. It can be fixed. PM me if you want more info.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by carayan View Post
    Did you reset the ecu? Take negative terminal off battery for 15 mins, or remove fuse 7.5A in the under hood fuse box.
    ECU reset only takes 15 seconds. Waiting any longer is pointless.

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    ECU reset only takes 15 seconds. Waiting any longer is pointless.
    time is money
    SSpamily

hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 EG5 Civic
    Back from overseas work and trying to solve this problem again.

Thanks carayan, I've tried removing the negative terminal + waiting, and checking the 7.5A fuse but that didn't solve the problem.

Perhaps its an issue with the ECU as ECU-MAN mentioned above?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTi
    Had this problem before on my EG as well. The ECU needs to be re-soldied cause its causing the fuel pump not prime when the key to turned to accessories.

Send your ECU to ECU-MAN to get repaired. His well priced and very knowledgeable about Honda ECU's. He fixed my ECU for a decent price which includes installing a chip socket and 4 wire O2 socket

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 EG5 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by EGVTi View Post
    Had this problem before on my EG as well. The ECU needs to be re-soldied cause its causing the fuel pump not prime when the key to turned to accessories.

Send your ECU to ECU-MAN to get repaired. His well priced and very knowledgeable about Honda ECU's. He fixed my ECU for a decent price which includes installing a chip socket and 4 wire O2 socket
    Cheers EGVTi. Fingers crossed that a repaired ECU will finally solve my EG's issue. Taken a bit of damage already replacing the fuel pump and relay which may not have even required replacing.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1995 EG5 Civic
    After sending my ECU to ECU-MAN he was able to quickly fix the above problem I've been having with my car. The fuel pump primes instantly, no lingering check engine light and my car is in good health again.

For anyone experiencing similar symptoms with the ones I've had above, or ECU related issues, please do not hesitate to contact ECU-MAN. He does a fine job like EGVTi mentioned above and provides fantastic support.

Thank you again everyone for your help.