[HELP PLEASE] Engine rebuild or Conversion? Need Information

Hey everyone. First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong section or there are other threads on this topic. But anyway, I have just recently purchased a 2000 Ek sedan with a D16Y4 non-vtec, with 250,000 k痴, and has minimal work done to it. This is my second car and first Honda so I still have a lot to learn! I知 also currently at university and therefore have a fairly tight budget. What I知 after is any and all information regarding conversions and rebuilding/building internals.

I知 questioning whether I should drop in a vtec engine or just do a rebuild. If money wasn't an issue I would definitely go with the new engine however they are not so common where I am (North Queensland) and would roughly cost $3000+?

On the other hand just rebuilding the engine for now, maybe including some internal work so when I finish university in two or so years I have the option to turbo or just drop in a vtec B16/K20. At this stage I知 leaning towards rebuilding but have so many questions still like if boring/honing and larger pistons will gain much power or just be able to handle more power? Or if I just freshen up the bottom and build the head? Etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    cheapest thing to do is rebuild the motor and install a d16y8 head and pg6(d16a1) pistons that npr make for like 90bucks should hit the 100kw range with tuning

Quote Originally Posted by 2MPRS View Post
    cheapest thing to do is rebuild the motor and install a d16y8 head and pg6(d16a1) pistons that npr make for like 90bucks should hit the 100kw range with tuning
    Thanks for the input. Would you have an idea where I could find a D16Y8 head? I had a quick search and it says they're from the U.S?

Anymore input anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinD View Post
    Thanks for the input. Would you have an idea where I could find a D16Y8 head? I had a quick search and it says they're from the U.S?
    You can find them in EJ8 civics (coupes), but for the effort you might be better off rebuilding your current engine if absolutely essential and save money where you can for future engine swaps - that's if you feel underwhelmed by its insane power.
    D16Y4 ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ー)

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I have a complete D16Y8 in syd for sale. 138,xxxKM.

$350 complete (gbox+loom+ecu). You won't find any cheaper for a Y8. If you do PM me ill match.

Going price even at wreckers is close to $500.

Can include various plugs, pedals, lines and pumps. If you need to do manual conversion for little extra.

Postage is approx $100 with e-go.

Reason for sale: Was going to turbo this Y8 and put in my brothers ej6, but someone hit his passenger side and we have decided not to convert. (person at fault is taking too long, looks like we are going to court)

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    keep the y4 in car. Get yourself y8 y1 engine. Build bottom/head for turbo (pistons/rods sleeving depends on your Hp goal, springs valves retainers camshaft, port and polish depend on your hp goal) . whenever you build the engine get yourself a turbo kit or custom one. Also need a clutch depends on your hp goal.
    turbo charge your y4, when ever it blow up get y8.
    OR, Get b18c or build b20 all motor. but you will need gearbox and other stuff .
    Or sell you civic and get integra with b18.
    but before you start putting power to the car, I would work on brakes and handling.
    Doing engine swap from y4 to y8 is just waste of money and you would not feel the power. I would not touch D series anymore