Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA9/CL9

Recommendations for new tyres - CL9

Howdy
    I understand this has been asked a lot but I wanted to go into more detail as to what my driving conditions are to better match me to the right tyre.

I don't know much about tyres but I'm In desperate need of new ones for my Euro, I drive a lot of highway km's (120kph) and country back roads which aren't the smoothest, and most of the time it's cold and wet- ballarat to Melbourne and back, 500km's + a week
    wanted to ask what you guys recommend to use under these conditions and how much you would pay per tyre ?
    Looking so spend around $200 per
    Thanks
    Last edited by DA9-47; 18-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3.Good all round tyre nice and quiet too.
    Toyo TEO plus also not bad tyre(made in Japan)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    you dont want a max or high performance sports tyre on B grade or C grade country roads.

ContiComfortContact.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9/CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    you dont want a max or high performance sports tyre on B grade or C grade country roads.

ContiComfortContact.
    Thanks fred
    Originally I was looking at some of the higher grade performance tyres
    That most people would use ,
    They would be good for 75% of my daily commute , but the other 25% would be white knuckle, and may just eat the tyre up quickly
    It's not crazy bad , just country back roads so one lane, 2 wheels on the dirt when oncoming traffic pass, few potholes that I can miss, roo's and bunnies are a tad harder lol
    The usual temperature is between 3-10 degrees during winter with a few nights dropping to sub zero , and it is usually wet . I travel at night as I work night shift
    I looked at the Continental conticomfort contact and they look more suited to me ,
    Designed for fuel economy , silent on the road also great dry/wet grip.

Also noticed some people change their tyre size on stock rim size??
    Is this worth looking into it in my case to get the most for stock rims?
    Atm I'm 225/45/r17

Member Array
    Car:
    GE8
    Yokohama is having a special. Buy 4 pay 3. Got a set of advan decibel v551. It smoothes the ride. Less vibration on the steering wheel and on my butt.
    Suit my cruiser style.
    Last edited by twing; 20-07-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I would go with Yokohama's as well, they're know for quiet tyres. The V551 especially have great reviews. I guess it really depends on what you're after, but I drive similar conditions (a lot of FWY) and I regret going with the ContiSportContact3. They're grippy but they're also very noisy. In general, the grippier the tyre, the more noise they'll make, as performance tyres would usually have bigger tread blocks, where as your luxury comfort ones will have a lot of small ones to reduce noise. v551 are also better for the economy as well. Michelins make good tyres, but they are usually expensive, and don't age well. Otherwise, Kumho make some good tyres as well. Surprised to find the KH18 a lot quieter than the Michelin eco energy tyres on the old corolla (Michelin were 6 years old, and still had 30% tread left, but the sidewalls had a lot of micro cracks).

I had SportContact3's on my IS250 and found them quiet (stock 17" wheels though). I used KU39's on my old Euro with the stock 18" wheels and they were quite good as well but nearing the end of life they got pretty noisy (same as the Primacy HP's though).

Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3.Good all round tyre nice and quiet too.
    Lol, I was actually after a set of these and Bob Jane told me not to get them because:

1. He doesn't have stock
    2. They're Michelins budget tyre

I was like is that why they're standard on BMW M and Mercedes AMG?...

Yoko c drive. Quiet, great in the wet and dry. Saw over 80, 000ks on my last set

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yokohama are having a buy 3 get 4th free offer. So it's a good time to grab Yokos if that's what you're looking for.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    I had SportContact3's on my IS250 and found them quiet (stock 17" wheels though). I used KU39's on my old Euro with the stock 18" wheels and they were quite good as well but nearing the end of life they got pretty noisy (same as the Primacy HP's though).

Lol, I was actually after a set of these and Bob Jane told me not to get them because:

1. He doesn't have stock
    2. They're Michelins budget tyre

I was like is that why they're standard on BMW M and Mercedes AMG?...
    They don't stock them.That's why Bob Jane told you not to get them.Also they probably don't make as much margin as they do on the tyres they "recommend".

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Like bob jane all rounder LOL
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Yeah, everyone I called told me that the tyres I want are shit because they don't stock them and to go with their alternative =.=

I wanted the V551's too - they were like oh we don't carry this and it's an end of line product, they're being discontinued but we have this instead _____.