Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic

Few questions for wifes car

Hey there guys

Looking at doing some things to the wifes car as she seems to be complaining alot that i spend a lot of money on my jetski

So what are the must have items for an FD1?

Thinking
    Intake for a bit more power/that induction sound
    Throttle controller (as i notice a delay in response when coming off and on throttle)
    Some nice mags (nice not horribly expensive. And black)

So what i need to know is what brands of the above are good and what rim size i should go without needing to dick around with everything to make it fit (17 or 18? Etc)

And what else should i look at as a must have item

Cheers in advance

Az

Hi.

For the intake I have a K&N Typhoon kit on my FD2. Sounds AMAZING! But changing the intake system on our Civics creates more throttle lag.
    If you think the throttle lag is bad now wait til you install an intake system. No power gains from having an intake system.

I also have a throttle control installed in mine and honestly, You get over it within a day or two. Doesnt help the coming off the line it but will
    definitely help when you're moving. 100% throttle is 100% throttle. Once your foot in planted to the ground thats it. Throttle control or not. Same shit.
    Throttle control just tricks the car into thinking you are accelerating more than what you are actually doing.

As of rims. If you plan on lowering the car I would stick with 17" rims. If not 18s should be fine.
    I wouldnt go anything wider than a 8" wide rim.

I personally wouldn't bother with an intake or a throttle control. Waste of money.
    I would do mods that makes the car more enjoyable to drive. Like, A upgraded sound system and wheels.
    Exterior and Interior mods are fine. "Performance" mods are a waste of time and money.

This is just my personal thoughts as I have the mods you want. Intake sounds amazing but you are sacrificing a lot of bottom end power for
    induction noise. Being your wifes car. I dont think she will enjoy losing so much bottom end power for noise.
    Last edited by Honda_FD; 06-12-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    You lose bottom end for noise?

Surely with a decent intake system you would gain across the board

I mean the solid pipe setup that the injen cai has must flow better than stock off the line.
    Or do the resonance chambers and the awkward routing of the stock fd1 system actually benefit low end power?

I would have figured that less restriction of flow would yeild gains

The wife is away Wednesday till saturday
    Wonder if she will notice the change lol

Im not sure about a CAI as I've never had one in my car.
    K&N Make very good intake systems and have been around for a while. Not the "Best" out there but still Very good.
    So Im sure a K&N Typhoon Kit is a "Decent" System. And no, Because our cars are newer and everything is electronic the computer will correct itself so you dont get any power gains.
    These Civics arent built to be modified. Unlike the Type R and the older Hondas. This one was built to be economical.
    If you look up performance mods for the FD2 we all have to look it up by the USDM Si Civics. Theres barely any mods for the Australian Delivered Civics.

Honda has spent hundreds and thousands of dollars in research and development in these stock air intake systems.
    So the Award routing for the airbox is like that for a reason.

You can spend $300 + on a brand new intake system for your car if you want. Im just speaking from my experiences.
    But like I said earlier. Intake systems sounds amazing but if you are looking for power mods. Intake isnt one of them.
    If you want a deeper tone and not get more throttle lag. I would keep the stock system and remove the resonator behind the foglight.
    Its pretty much a CAI as you are still collecting fresh and cold air but with the stock box. Gives you a deeper tone and a bit of induction noise.
    Last edited by Honda_FD; 06-12-2014 at 04:24 PM.

CAI on the FD1 isn't bad, but its all about the loud induction noise, and of course the placebo power increase.

There hasn't been any throttle lag, from my experience when I installed the CAI. But in saying that, you learn to adapt to the throttle lag, should it make itself present.

Do you have an automatic or a manual car?

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    HO HO HO
    Christmas came a few days early for the wife
    Just need to get her out of the 4wd civic next.... shit be on stilts
    Wheels are 17x7 +40
    225/45/17

What are some cheap coils? (without being shit)

Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    CAI on the FD1 isn't bad, but its all about the loud induction noise, and of course the placebo power increase.

There hasn't been any throttle lag, from my experience when I installed the CAI. But in saying that, you learn to adapt to the throttle lag, should it make itself present.

Do you have an automatic or a manual car?
    Heh sorry for the late reply, thought i had replied to this ages ago, must have failed to hit send :S

Car is manual
    by throttle lag i had meant the time between the pressing of the go pedal to the engine response, the whole fly by wire thing is just slow, the car takes almost a second (feels like) to realize that i pressed the accellerator
    Last edited by Azuras; 23-12-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Why not springs? Cheap and good. I had Eibach Pro series before my coilovers. They were awsome. Good balance between comfort and handling.

Skunk 2 is a well known brand.
    $185 for springs

http://store.skunk2.com/suspension-t...g-springs.html

Member Array
    Car:
    Not a Honda
    My old car had the same engine as your fd1 (albeit with a few improvements) and I found that upgrading to a 2" piping exhaust with a different axleback actually made some gains. Car felt more lively and had more pull top end. Not sure whether your wife will mind the extra noise but i didnt find it that loud. Maybe me being a bit younger has something to do with it though

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    I have a custom 2.5"cat back with x-force twin tip muffler for sale if keen,
    I also have oem shocks with pedders springs and brand new whiteline front camber bolts
    I also have bc racing coilovers for sale and can include megan rear camber arms

pm me if interested

Member Array
    Car:
    08 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    I have a custom 2.5"cat back with x-force twin tip muffler for sale if keen,
    I also have oem shocks with pedders springs and brand new whiteline front camber bolts
    I also have bc racing coilovers for sale and can include megan rear camber arms

pm me if interested
    Cheers but unfortunately im poor as shit at the moment

If you have it in the new year/early feb ill grab alot of that
    Christmas has drained me lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuras View Post
    Cheers but unfortunately im poor as shit at the moment

If you have it in the new year/early feb ill grab alot of that
    Christmas has drained me lol
    all good champ, hit me up wen ur ready, as exhaust and coils are still on the car...