Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA

Headunit with GPS under $800?

Hi guys, upgrading my stock speakers to Pioneer TS-G1644R's all around and looking to upgrade my headunit to one that has navigation built in. Anyone able to suggest any good options under $800? Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Have a look here, dont really have much choice for a good gps unit under 800.
    http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Car-Au...S-DVD-Players/

Should have looked to upgrade during boxingday-nye last year. JB HiFi had a end of year sale.
    Managed to get this sony one below with tomtom module/reverse cam for $700

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ra-dig/646411/
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarbait View Post
    Hi guys, upgrading my stock speakers to Pioneer TS-G1644R's all around and looking to upgrade my headunit to one that has navigation built in. Anyone able to suggest any good options under $800? Thanks
    Might cop some hate from this, but some of the eBay units aren't too bad. The only things wrong with them is probably the hands-free because the microphone is mounted in the worse possible position, but you can get away with a decent one for about $400-$500.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    I'd rather a known brand that sells at local retail shops to be honest just incase something did go wrong - thats why I avoid ebay for certain things because if you need to return it it a) costs you money and b) wastes your time - I'm hoping to have it all installed on the spot also.

Do many of you run a double din unit with GPS etc? And what does it mean the USB is only at the rear? With lots of the new ones it says its at the rear but my current single din one has one in front in the corner.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    JB HiFi currently has a 30% off car audio now. That sony unit I have is just under 1k now.

USB rear means theres a cable that you can route into your glove box or centre console. So that you dont have the ugly usb stick sticking out of the headunit or cable running from the front of the headunit.
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO View Post
    JB HiFi currently has a 30% off car audio now. That sony unit I have is just under 1k now.

USB rear means theres a cable that you can route into your glove box or centre console. So that you dont have the ugly usb stick sticking out of the headunit or cable running from the front of the headunit.
    Can you advise me on what to look out for when picking the one I like? I'm hoping to find a good Pioneer one, fan of the brand but obviously if there's something better I'll go for it. And thanks for that, I thought so, my friend had his run under the carpet and up next to the handbrake for his ipod but I used a USB for my music so that'l be perfect hidden away.

EDIT: And does anyone notice much glare? Thanks!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    Bumpin'

Are there any decent Pioneer ones? Or is anyone able to explain why the headunit may be worth shelling out $1k or so?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarbait View Post
    I'd rather a known brand that sells at local retail shops to be honest just incase something did go wrong - thats why I avoid ebay for certain things because if you need to return it it a) costs you money and b) wastes your time - I'm hoping to have it all installed on the spot also.

Do many of you run a double din unit with GPS etc? And what does it mean the USB is only at the rear? With lots of the new ones it says its at the rear but my current single din one has one in front in the corner.
    That's true. Maybe have a look around and post the link so people can confirm with you whether its good or not. If you're planning to DIY will be even more cost effective

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    I think I have to push my budget further towards $1k - Pioneer have just released a new range compatible with Android/Apple etc, think it automatically detects or something. But they had $1100, $1600 and $2100 headunits.

Can anyone explain the differences between them? The appearance looks exactly the same for each model and why is it so expensive having GPS built into your headunit? And also what do I need to look out for? Not sure if I mentioned this before but they had things like "Navigation compatible: No (or Yes)" which I'm guessing means you need to manually load the GPS on etc but I want mine all good to go.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    Think I've picked my headunit, what do you guys think? http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/product...0BT/specs.html

And whats so bad about having the same model speakers all around?

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    That seems decent.

Don't touch ebay ones. They don't work at all. 90% of them break, or don't work properly.

As for speakers. As I posted in the other thread, you ideally only want fronts. So, spend the money you'd spend on all 4 or 6, and buy a good pair of splits. It'll sound much better

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    Revised setup after a bit more research:

Headunit: Pioneer F60DAB $2000 (AVIC-F40BT or similar found being resold for $800 on eBay so not 100% set due to the $2k price tag, need the in built nav though)

Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1605C $105 (front) and Pioneer TS-A1675S $70 (rear)

Sub: Pioneer TS-WX610A $399 (self powered and hidden inside spare wheel)

Soundproofing: $99 x 2

Total: $2673

Wish the headunit wasn't $2k but does everything I need and more, don't want to end up buying something else and wishing I'd purchased the F60DAB due to features or screen size etc. Thoughts?

Keep in mind whenever I upgrade to another car I'll probably replace certain things and re-sell or install it in my new ride (mainly the headunit).