Thread: B18C7 IM's

Member Array
    Car:
    none yet

B18C7 IM's

I'm just starting to mock up the engine in the chassis and I can already see I'm just out of clearance between the top of the OEM ITR IM and the body, because of the way the IM curves up.

Ideally I would use ITB's instead, but can't at least until I have it registered, probably...

So are there any aftermarket/alternate IM's that don't come up so high? 15-20mm lower is all I'd need.
    Otherwise my options as I see it would be to
    a) Machine a "wedge" out of the manifold face to increase the downward angle, though this would upset the airflow and injector angles as well, not ideal
    b) Make new, straighter runners between the plenum and manifold face, again probably not ideal for airflow, and alot of work, although at least injector angle would be maintained.]

Any ideas? Bearing in mind I need to keep it at least looking OEM so aftermarket ECU's and ITB would be a last resort, that will come after registration.

TIA
    Alex
    A beautiful mind trapped inside an ugly head. Viva la Hilltop Hoods

Try BLOX to suit. Shorter fatter and I'm pretty sure lower ? They appear to sit around 45 degrees from port to plenum centre bore compared to around 60-70 compared to standard. I maybe wrong but its worth a look

Member Array
    Car:
    none yet
    Excellent thanks, found a place in NSW that stocks them, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get some dimensions off them.

Member Array
    Car:
    none yet
    No good unfortunately, the Blox IM is actually 1-1.5cm taller according to the helpful chaps at Shift Performance, I think I'll just get a wedge machined off the mounting face, not ideal but good enough for rego me thinks...

Not good - I'd rather chop and weld an old b16 intake manifold to your liking than put a wedge.

edelbrock victor x look a bit lower than stock. They have very short runners too so may fit where you need it.

Worth a try, can get them from ebay about same price as skunk2/blox.

Member Array
    Car:
    none yet
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Not good - I'd rather chop and weld an old b16 intake manifold to your liking than put a wedge.
    As I understand it the heads are same for the B16 and B18C7, what is the difference with the IM's?
    Same studs, port shape and size, sensor and vac stuff?
    What would be the advantage chopping one of them instead of the one I have?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    edelbrock victor x look a bit lower than stock. They have very short runners too so may fit where you need it.

Worth a try, can get them from ebay about same price as skunk2/blox.
    Certainly look like they would fit, being optimized for 7-10k rpm is a concern though...
    Thanks for the input lads, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
    Certainly look like they would fit, being optimized for 7-10k rpm is a concern though...
    Thanks for the input lads, appreciate it!
    Maybe that's why they're not so popular here. They have another version with longer runners, think it is Performer X.

I haven't used either, no idea on performance. Only suggested based on packaging requirements.