Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone had experience with adjustable springs? (not coilovers, these are different)

So doing some searching on ebay and stuff and came across these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-04-08...item20ba7db981

It looks to me like these are installed on the existing shock to give adjustability to the springs. Sounds good to me. Although being super cheap one might think of buying some better springs to go with the adjustable part.

Can someone tell me what they actually are and if theyre worth considering?

Cheers

UPDATE: found these that have a better description and turns out they are meant to be used on stock shocks:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-ACU...item54175ec2e4
    Last edited by kerfuffel; 05-02-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    They can work well with a good quality strut thats valved for stiffer spring rates

Ground Control are the brand you should look for,they use quality Eibach springs and have a good rep

Yeah I read around that they can be a but stiff and have alot of bounce to them. But maybe the ones with the eibach springs would perform better.

The ground control ones look really good. Do you think that a set if those with a softer more street spring rate would work on stock shocks and not wear them out like lowered springs would?

Stiffer springs on stock dampers will bounce. Lowered springs need to be stiffer to allow for reduced travel. Hence lowered springs on stock dampers will ride like shyte unless the dampers are in good shape and the ssprings aren't too stiff.

Fitting coilover sleeves to your struts will still need you to cut the old spring platforms off and attach the sleeve to the strut. If you can get a damper insert to go into your stock body then this is an option. Nothing wrong with this method as it's how we're been building rally suspension for 25 years.

Thing is, to do it properly costs money. With the amount of aftermarket coilovers available that might be easier to go for a set of bolt in coilovers.

There is no magic cheap suspension solution.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro
    I have the ground control/eibach version on mine with koni shocks.
    Do it once and do it right, don't stick with stock shocks.
    I have one finger of wheel gap in the arch and it's still a comfortable ride!
    IN NSW WE TRUST

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Get new shocks, as mentioned above you'll need to have your stock shocks machined to take the GC units.. Not necessarily safe
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Thanks for your answers. being an American store and all its just going to be easier to get coilovers and almost the same price. Looks like I'm back to sitting back and waiting for some used ones to pop up for a reasonable price

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Get new shocks, as mentioned above you'll need to have your stock shocks machined to take the GC units.. Not necessarily safe
    Whats not safe m8

Beware of used coilovers. Many need rebuild or are totally rooted. Call Mca suspension to see what they have for your car. They build some of the best motorsport suspension in the world but also do a street series which is reasonably priced. They focus on quality rather than bling or big names.

I'll be aware but in terms of cost for what I want that is more or less my only option. I only want the lowering for looks and i dont plan on tracking my car. The mca suspension looks good sure but at 1500 minimum it's not for me. Cheers anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    what about aftermarket shocks, stock springs and lowered perches?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC