Sub and amp problems

So I got a 12" sony xplod 1800watt running at 300rms (supposedly) and im running a 4 channel 400watt kenwood amp and whenever I play it a bit to loud the amp goes in to protection mode and has a red light on it! Ive searched everywhere for problems and all say it's a grounding issue or wire issue, but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and how they fixed it?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Check your gains (trim) on the amplifier. You might be clipping from the head unit and with the wrong gains, it might cause the amplifier to go into protection mode. Unless you're handy with a multimeter, best way is to set your gains by ear. First find the head unit's maximum volume before distortion (I.e alpine is generally 27 out of 40). if you don't know it, just turn it up towards max volume until it starts distorting then turn it down by 1-2. This will be your maximum volume (range). Then starting with zero gains on the amplifier, turn it up slowly until you're either happy with the amount of volume of the speaker or until it starts distorting then dial it back.

Not sure if this will fix your problem but something you need to know about setting up.

Yeah I changed all fuses and moved the ground wire it was in a terrible place so that helped but ill try the gains thing that's one thing didn't come in mind