Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1

deciding on a civic?

i currently own a da9 integra but im looking at moving to an EK civic. now im an apprentice mechanic so i'm not loaded, but i do work for honda so thatll help cut costs as far as repairs and maintenance go.

im looking for something fun and easy to do up and i was looking at the cxi but everyone tells me theyre crap? i'm gonna test drive some soon to see if theyre any good but everyone keeps saying buy the GLi (though to be honest every single one i find for sale is insanely overpriced) and i'd love a VTiR but im not particularly rich. obviously Type R would be the pinnacle but i know its not happening.

so owner's thoughts? is the cxi's drum rear brake all that bad? hows the engine for a fun scale? decent gearbox?

thanks in advance =D

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic CXi, VT250F
    I recently bought a CXi and I can tell you that the GLi is exactly the same thing, i've tried both and decided that the CXi was the better choice, the rear drum brakes are fine, no problems with them at all, pull the hand brake up when ever you like and they will lock up like discs on my previous cars.

The gear box is nice and smooth, its the best shifting car i've had to date. Its firm and responds exactly the way a gear box should.

As far as i have read and tried the power is the same between the GLi and CXi both 88kw both 144 torque. Just try to stay away from red is all I can say, cause the paint fades to a slight pinky colour over time unless you have a car cover/port or garage to keep it in and out of the sun.

Besides that only negative point its an amazing car
    VROOOM! VROOOM!

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    Quote Originally Posted by pieee View Post
    I recently bought a CXi and I can tell you that the GLi is exactly the same thing, i've tried both and decided that the CXi was the better choice, the rear drum brakes are fine, no problems with them at all, pull the hand brake up when ever you like and they will lock up like discs on my previous cars.

The gear box is nice and smooth, its the best shifting car i've had to date. Its firm and responds exactly the way a gear box should.

As far as i have read and tried the power is the same between the GLi and CXi both 88kw both 144 torque. Just try to stay away from red is all I can say, cause the paint fades to a slight pinky colour over time unless you have a car cover/port or garage to keep it in and out of the sun.

Besides that only negative point its an amazing car
    Yes they are the same car its just the GLi came with more..."modern" features ud expect from cars around form that era e.g. power windows. HOWEVER, the GLi does come with front sway bars, CXi has no sway bars at all. If u can find a good priced GLi then that's the way to go. Otherwise, EK4 VTiR!
    I used to have a EK sedan
    psn: w-_custer_-w

Member Array
    Car:
    Ferio
    Quote Originally Posted by Raztaz View Post
    Yes they are the same car its just the GLi came with more..."modern" features ud expect from cars around form that era e.g. power windows. HOWEVER, the GLi does come with front sway bars, CXi has no sway bars at all. If u can find a good priced GLi then that's the way to go. Otherwise, EK4 VTiR!
    don't forget tachometer as well for GLI

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I recommend just getting the VTi. You get some nice electrics and 4 wheel disc brakes etc.

Otherwise, what's wrong with the DA9? Nice car...

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    If you can find A GLi, I would say go for that. It is just a bit more modern in its features, but it has the same engine as the Cxi. I guess the Cxi would go a bit better because it doesn't weigh as much?

I would agree with saying to avoid the red. I mean, it looks great. but it fades rather quickly. have a look at the civic vti civics (EK4). They have a better engine and better features.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1
    yeah as i said i work at honda and every red car we get in from the 90s has turned that pink so i know what you mean. the da9 is an auto and its getting the better of me because i know how much power that drains so its not much fun. and as far as aftermarket upgrades go, theyre all really hard to source and ridiculously priced. It's also got this really awkward side profile that just gets to me a little bit...

I didn't realise the CXi didn't have a tacho so thats definitely a downer, but you can get aftermarket ones can't you? the lack of power windows isnt really a issue, i drove an automatic one yesterday in this amazing blue colour and it went just as quickly as my DA9. Even though they don't come with them stock can you get swaybars for a CXi? i don't mind spending money doing up the car over time and i know how much sway bars do for rigidity.

All the GLi's i can find are auto sedans and that doesn't realy do it for me ill just have to keep waiting i guess for a good manual hatch to come up. all the VTi's i see are $9k+ and i really dont make enough money to be able to afford one right now.

I'm really at a bit of a loss does anone know anywhere better to look for them? carsales and carsguide etc arent that fantastic right now

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleGod View Post
    If you can find A GLi, I would say go for that. It is just a bit more modern in its features, but it has the same engine as the Cxi. I guess the Cxi would go a bit better because it doesn't weigh as much?

I would agree with saying to avoid the red. I mean, it looks great. but it fades rather quickly. have a look at the civic vti civics (EK4). They have a better engine and better features.
    Ek4 is vtir

red is a great colour if your prepared to and have the time to maintain it

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Is there anything wrong with your current car? If not mate I would save up a bit and look at goin the whole way and going for an ek4. Should be able to get a good one for around 10k. They are a good base with a good engine already in etc. Only thing I don't like about them is the sunroof.

Ps buy red if you have a garage or cover... Red cars go faster

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx Type X
    wtf, 9k for a gli. better off saving couple for grand and get a vti-r
    sif pay 9k for a gli.

lol.

oversteer....you wouldn't understand.
    ozhonda 4 lyfe!

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by INVSBL View Post
    wtf, 9k for a gli. better off saving couple for grand and get a vti-r
    sif pay 9k for a gli.

lol.
    Yeh man some of the prices that ppl put on their ek1s for sale is stupid, Ffs it's a base model car and they are sooo common so plenty of choice If your the buyer

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD1
    haha no garage unfortunately, mums got a red car in there already

i just checked out the VTiR's and they all have a shitload of mods on em, i take it finding a bog stock one would be near impossible? and whats the deal with VTI's? like they have the CXi/GLi engine so what makes them so special? just suspension and sporty accesories?