Help!! Auto ek civic won't/can't shift into park, can't take key out of barrell

As per title

Missus was driving home then complained it wouldn't shift into park

Checked fuses under the dash and brake light works

Any ideas as to why it won't shift into park?

Annoying as i can't take the key out of ignition barrel!
    Any way to bypass this also?

Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    Not sure with auto ek's if they have the shift release hole where you insert the key near the shifter

If you can, shove another key into it and see if you can put it into park, I have a feeling the locking mechanism in the shifter has taken a dump
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    The key wont come out of the barrel if it is left in N or any other gears. Do you have a spare set of keys for it? if so try putting a key into the shift lock release slot and try and place it into park as it could have locked itself during another gear. if not it could be a bad sensor on the foot brake or some broken connection, try sliding the shifter around. check the actual cable leading to the trans and see if has popped out or has changed position under the car

Yea tried the shift lock but I think that only works when stuck in park
    I'll have a look under the car later, I'll check under the shifter first now

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    If the shift cable is OK and the shift selector cannot be faulted then your problem may reside in the trans.

There is a cover that holds the cable to the trans, undo it and manually put the car in park by working the selector arm. If it will not select Park then the trans needs repairs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek civic 97
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    If the shift cable is OK and the shift selector cannot be faulted then your problem may reside in the trans.

There is a cover that holds the cable to the trans, undo it and manually put the car in park by working the selector arm. If it will not select Park then the trans needs repairs.
    +1

the pin that holds it in park must be stuck on the gear
    Same same but different

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    If that where the case the car would be un drivable, car would not roll, not to say there isn't a fault with the park lock arm mech or selector shaft.