Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Nope. All internal

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy1978 View Post
    Nope. All internal
    Dont mind me asking - in making your own frame wouldn't there have to be a seperate frame made for stress analysis ? Big $$$ to get it ready and legal for engineering then blue slipping ?

And in calculating the strength of the design, the Engineer would make certain assumptions regarding weld strength, HAZ etc. From what I can see of the welds, I would struggle to assign any sort of reasonable strength, fatigue or geometric load factors to those welds.

Not trying to criticise or be a dick, but welding critical structures should be left to the experts, and what I can see of the tack welds, that's not expert workmanship.

Thanks for your feedback.
    I am not worried about the tack welds as that is all they are. Tacks. It will be welded up correctly once it is all lined up and fits

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe

Thumbs up

Quite a interesting build you have going there, I raced Super Mini's back in the late 70's and early 80's and now have a Honda, weird ha. There are a few honda powered Minis still racing around these days if you are in NSW maybe try to get to a meeting and check out their set up's.
    Or check out Facebook NSW Suoer Mini Racing page maybe contacts who can give advice.
    Back in the day we used to raise the front upper control arm to help the drive shaft run straight to prevent excessive wear on the CV joints.
    Good luck with the build.

Thanks Howardm. I just liked the page to follow. Looks good.

Noobie. Mini with a Vtec JDM B16A

A week off work to get stuck into it. Main frame done and engine mounted. Lower legs and rear cross brace with engine mount still to go in.

Last edited by Dutchy1978; 02-10-2015 at 10:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    YellZCHYEEAAAAAA
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Frame all welded up, engine wiring harness re-taped. Now working on the rear engine mount, lower control arm mounts and gear linkage.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    fuk yeh

Noobie. Mini with a Vtec JDM B16A

Part of the fun: engine in, engine out, engine in, engine out.
    This time to get the castor rod mounts tacked in, rear engine mount tacked together too.

Last edited by Dutchy1978; 24-10-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Back on 4 legs. Suspension geometry seems quite good by eye.