Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EF Si

interesting CAI setup.

hey guys, saw this on some website but thinking that there would be troubles of the filter getting wet.

your opinions?

Member Array
    With or with out the bumper? Once the bumper is on the filter is in an enclosed space and will not see much water, if any.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    filter has to be completely submerged in water to get hydrolocked

Member Array
    Car:
    2CD and 3DG
    isnt that how the injen and aem and some other cold air intakes sit??....dont think theres been much of a problem with those

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol
    that's a pretty common set up for cai's...

Member Array
    Car:
    scooby doobydoo
    thats similar to what im running.

EPisode3 : revenge of the civic

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Cotton filters can handle the wet. You're supposed to clean them in water... If you submerged the filter in water then you deserve hydrolock! Going through a puddle wouldn't cause it, you would have to have half the car (at least at the front) underwater. A bit of water in the engine won't hurt it too much either - injecting extra water is an old method used to gain a bit of extra power :P

I plan to eventually do this, DYI style, cutting out the foglight housing on the bumper and lining the face on the recess with black mesh (just for a nice finish).

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    That CAI setup is very common and works quite well.

egads - You should try removing the splash guard , you will give you air filter much more air , also the filter you have only sucks from the sides (360') so ur restricting it.
    I have run this setup in my previous car for ages and never had a problem with dirt or water getting in.

Just clean them every now and then and they'll be fine !

Here's a pic of where i had mine on my old beemer ( you can just see the filter) :

I had 3" pipe from the throttle body , cut through the engine bay, then had the filter sitting inside the guard, after getting this done it made the car scream ove 4000rpm.
    Last edited by Andrew21; 21-03-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Hatch
    By taking out ur guard and leaving the filter exposed like that looks heaps dangerous. That would surely get the attention of cops and would take in heaps of water. I reckon u shoulda left the guard on that beemer

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Granted it would breathe better and make a lot of noise, but if you were worried about monting behind the bumper, then this mount is not for you haha I imagine the wheel spins a lot of crap into the filter too...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    Nah i got defected for alot of other things with this car ( wheels, lowered ,buckets e.t.c) but they never said anything about the filter, you couldnt see it really unless you got on the ground or turned the tyre full lock.

And no i never had any issues with tyres spitting shit ontop the filter or water issues.
    Once a month i'd just clean the filter and put it back on (10min) job and it was always fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Hatch
    u would go thru a heap of reoiling kits i bet. Normally u would only clean and reoil every 5000 to 10000k's