Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2003 CVT

Jazz jerks and cuts out in D but not in S

Hi guys,

This is my first post, please be gentle .
    Last week I bought my missus a 2003 Jazz with CVT, 1300 cc. 180000 km on the odometer. Car is in good nick but is a pain to drive.
    When engine is cold the car drives great. Once it starts to warm up the car starts to jerk or even cutting out under light throttle or going slightly uphill.
    That doesn't happen when driving on from standstill but happens at the lower speeds (Around 40 to 50 kph).
    It comes to the point that sometimes the engine cuts out alltogether. My missus is on her P's and it freaks her out! No MIL showing up when it happens or no "D"-flashing.
    I've been reading up on the forums (I shouldn't have bought this car to start with, but now it's too late) and everything points to the EGR, coil packs or the transmission.

I removed the EGR and noticed it was in a closed position (Which it should be) and it sealed off properly. I resealed it and left the EGR disconnected. No improvement or change in driving the car.

I checked the gearbox oil and it was clean. Still I replaced the ATF (But no Honda ATF). No metal filings on the sump plug. Still no improvement, although it seems to run a bit smoother.

I also checked the XYZ-switch (Switch that determines the gearbox position) but all good (Opened it up and checked for corrosion, discontinuity, etc).

Next thing I did was to disconnect the battery and went throught the gearbox reset procedure. Still no improvement.

Coil packs can be eliminated as well because under WOT the car accellerates properly.

The funny thing is that when I drive the car is S-mode (Sports), the car seems to be running great just with the occasional hickup.
    My theory is that when driving in S-mode the engine shifts at slightly higher RPM and therefore avoids shifting in the critical zone.

Could somebody give me an idea what could be the case?

I know, before you react, I should only use genuine Honda ATF and I will do that once I can find the time to visit a Honda dealer (The nearest one is 40 km away).
    I have been reading up on the forums but most problems seems to be related to the starter clutch. This is not the case in our Jazz as it takes off from standstill smoothly.
    I am mechanicaly minded but haven't got experience with Honda Jazz (Although that starts to improve by the minute).
    Thank you for your time!

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    ur jazz is being a jerk

hehe
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Ummm something is not right

Can someone help?
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    Quote Originally Posted by LRAT View Post
    I know, before you react, I should only use genuine Honda ATF and I will do that once I can find the time to visit a Honda dealer (The nearest one is 40 km away).
    I have been reading up on the forums but most problems seems to be related to the starter clutch. This is not the case in our Jazz as it takes off from standstill smoothly.
    I am mechanicaly minded but haven't got experience with Honda Jazz (Although that starts to improve by the minute).
    Thank you for your time!
    You should be using CVT fluid, not ATF.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    "D"-flashing.
    lol had a little snicker there

Coil packs can be eliminated as well because under WOT the car accellerates properly.
    When the coilpacks on the missus' jazz fried, I was getting jerks at initial acceleration, with no problems after the first initial jerks, even in WOT. So personally I won't rule out the packs yet. But I know how costly the mofo'ing coilpacks can be.

What about dirty injectors? plugs? leads?

other than that I can only think of more sinister things happening in your gbox, clutch.

sorry am of not much help
    Never argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Do you have this problem?

If so, Im sorry to advise. We havn't figured it out here.

Hey if you figure it out, please come back and let us know.

Even the dealers were no help.

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    on a side note, the throttle bodie has a bump on it, which i believe is the cause of that slight jerk when going from no accelerator to some accelerator. not so slight some times. perhaps the jazz just needs to be reflashed or something. your dealership can set it back to standard, who knows it may make a difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Yeah using atf in a cvt
    thats your problem
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

try running some Injector cleaner and try running 95 octane for a while

But it could be anything.

But use honda CVT fluid in a honda CVT.
    Last edited by Grayfox; 14-09-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    ATF in a CVT will cause all sorts of issues.
    We had my sister-in-laws 2003 Jazz have its CVT replaced under warranty.
    Honda dealership used ATF also in the car also. Box lasted 50k under normal girly driving conditions.
    Since i got it back its been good with CVT oil in it.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2003 CVT
    Thanks for all your advice!
    We haven't driven the car anymore since my last posting. Currently we are moving house and the works on the Honda Jazz have been postponed.
    I managed to go to a Honda dealer and bought 8 liters of the Honda CVT fluid for $204.00.
    I will drive the car for a 100 km with the new CVT fluid and then change it again with fresh CVT fluid.
    Hopefully it will sort out our problem and I will keep you updated.
    Cheers,

Luc

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2003 CVT
    Update:
    We've gone through two complete flushes of the CVT with Honda CVT fluid and have about done another 1000 km
    The gearbox has been reset.
    We are using the premium unleaded fuel (95 RON) and have replaced airfilter.
    The problem is still there. The car is basically undriveable in "D"-position but drives rather well in "S"-position, although the occasionally cutout happens. When the momentarily loss of power or jerking happens I can't see the speedo or tacho dropping, so, that indicates there is no problem with the power supply to the electronics.
    Once again the jerking only happens when driving on a staright around 40 to 60 km/h and applying light throttle or going uphill and try to compensate for speed by pushing the throttle.
    I think I will replace coil packs and spark plugs next. it seems this is a common problem with the Jazz as well.
    Whilst I'm doing this I might also replace the rear wheel bearings as they seem to make a humming noice at speed.
    We are rather dissapointed with our purchase. I always had Honda motorbikes and found them the most reliable on the market. I have to reconsider my thoughts about their cars.
    Thanks for all your advice so far.
    Can anybody recommend a good OBD2 scanner for this car?