Hybrid View

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    ED CRX wont fit (USDM EF is same as AUDM ED). I think a buddy of mine ran ED driveshafts and they were too short and the joints would almost pop out at full lock.

EF8/EF9 are basically the same car in terms of engine bay. So the shafts and midshaft are the same.

If you have shafts already and the CV joints are ****ed, I am sure you can used other joints like ED joints. I believe I used a ED inner joint on my EF8s shaft back in the day.

Generally what we found was the EF8/9 is kinda a mix of parts between the DA teg and the ED crx/civic - don't know how much this applies to the shafts though.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs View Post
    ED CRX wont fit (USDM EF is same as AUDM ED). I think a buddy of mine ran ED driveshafts and they were too short and the joints would almost pop out at full lock.

EF8/EF9 are basically the same car in terms of engine bay. So the shafts and midshaft are the same.

If you have shafts already and the CV joints are ****ed, I am sure you can used other joints like ED joints. I believe I used a ED inner joint on my EF8s shaft back in the day.

Generally what we found was the EF8/9 is kinda a mix of parts between the DA teg and the ED crx/civic - don't know how much this applies to the shafts though.
    That's excellent information thanks mate! Can anyone confirm which cv inners are compatible for use in the EF8 driveshafts?

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    Quote Originally Posted by crx51 View Post
    That's excellent information thanks mate! Can anyone confirm which cv inners are compatible for use in the EF8 driveshafts?
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ch-and-help%29.

read that thread..
    From memory I used a ED crx inner joint. It worked fine for years. Technically it is a different joint, the EF8 has rollers in the inner joint where as ED does not - but still works fine. (this is all from memory of 8 years back).

Inner joints are easy to swap (but messy to fix) - outter joint can be easy.. but I recently had an issue with an accord shaft that didnt want the outer joint to pop off.
    Last edited by Dxs; 31-03-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    yes
    How you doing mate... I am the buddy Dxs speaks of. I've had my fair share of headaches with the EF8 driveshafts. I've tried a few combinations and what I can say is:
    - Early DA axles are too short and will pop out (ask me how I know)
    - Late model DA axles and DC axles are too long and will bind (car will vibrate at speeds over 10km)
    If you can't rebuild your current shafts, what I can recommend is to build a hybrid/custom driveshaft, which is what I did and worked well.
    Using your EF8 midshaft, you will need to get the outer joint and axle from an early model DA integra (87-89) and use a later model DA integra (90-91) inner joint (or even EF8 inner joint). Put it together and you have an EF8 sized driveshaft.
    Reasons for this I found are:
    - Later model DA shafts are longer than early models, which may cause binding issues.
    - Early model DA inner joints are a few cm shorter than later DA models, and may cause the shaft to pop out of the joint.
    - Having the longer inner joint mixed with the shorter shaft gives the right length compatible with the EF8/9

It's been a few years since I messed around with my axles so hopefully this information is somewhat accurate and useful.
    Last edited by sdx; 31-03-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    ef8

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdx View Post
    How you doing mate... I am the buddy Dxs speaks of. I've had my fair share of headaches with the EF8 driveshafts. I've tried a few combinations and what I can say is:
    - Early DA axles are too short and will pop out (ask me how I know)
    - Late model DA axles and DC axles are too long and will bind (car will vibrate at speeds over 10km)
    If you can't rebuild your current shafts, what I can recommend is to build a hybrid/custom driveshaft, which is what I did and worked well.
    Using your EF8 midshaft, you will need to get the outer joint and axle from an early model DA integra (87-89) and use a later model DA integra (90-91) inner joint (or even EF8 inner joint). Put it together and you have an EF8 sized driveshaft.
    Reasons for this I found are:
    - Later model DA shafts are longer than early models, which may cause binding issues.
    - Early model DA inner joints are a few cm shorter than later DA models, and may cause the shaft to pop out of the joint.
    - Having the longer inner joint mixed with the shorter shaft gives the right length compatible with the EF8/9

It's been a few years since I messed around with my axles so hopefully this information is somewhat accurate and useful.

Excellent information! Thank you so much for your help.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dxs View Post
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ch-and-help%29.

read that thread..
    From memory I used a ED crx inner joint. It worked fine for years. Technically it is a different joint, the EF8 has rollers in the inner joint where as ED does not - but still works fine. (this is all from memory of 8 years back).

Inner joints are easy to swap (but messy to fix) - outter joint can be easy.. but I recently had an issue with an accord shaft that didnt want the outer joint to pop off.
    Thank you so much for this info you've shared! Greatly appreciated!