Question 2006 Honda Jazz VTi

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I'm thinking of buying a 2006 Honda Jazz VTi from a private seller (planning to get racq mech inspection too), the test drive was smooth and the car seems to be in a good condition (interior & exterior), however I have a few concerns and have trouble making up my mind.

The car has just reached 80k kms but the last service was done at 60k (2 years ago), all its 6 services has been done at a Honda dealer. I called the dealer and the lady read up the records of the services, she said the car was fine and she didn't notice anything unusual that's done in the services. However it's now due for its 80k major service, I've called in several Honda dealers and they've all quoted me $900+, plus the battery needs to be changed so it'll all will come up to $1000+ (for a $7500 car). MY friend suggested to bring it to kmart/ultratune/local mechanic would be cheaper but I'm worried as the CVT fliud needs to be changed and I'm not sure if they'll do it properly (people seem to have CVT problems on their Jazz's)

Would the 2 years/20k gap in servicing cause alot of problems in the future or be a major problem and hence cost alot more than the estimated $1000+ in servicing and hence be the deal breaker? Even though the drive (about 6km) was pretty smooth.

I'm not sure if its wise go ahead with the racq check and the buy if there are no major problems. I'm in need of a car and I quite like this Jazz (but there aren't many on sale within my budget)

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 civic 1.7
    Get service done elsewhere. 900 bucks is a rip for a cheap car.
    People are handles these days.
    As for the 20k...wouldn't worry.

Just get it checked etc snd buy if clear.

Ps, why does battery need changed ?

Hey, thank you so much for your reply!

He said he accidentally left the headlights on overnight as he was cleaning the car, but I think he's lying (there's a noticeable loud beep if you don't turn them off after engine's off), and it's probably due to lack of service. The battery was changed in 2011, its been 4 years so I assume it might need a new one anyways? Not sure how long battery usually lasts.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 civic 1.7

2006 Honda Jazz VTi

Beep to remind lights are on ?
    My fg turbo falcon will eat a battery in 3yrs, my mercedes sprinter van took 7yrs, our civic has been 4yrs, so I guess there's no set date, just when it feels it's failing (hard to start, weak turn over) ...
    I personally wouldn't be buying an auto sports car....especially a small engined one.

A Jazz is hardly a sports car...

Claramel, definitely take the car elsewhere for service. Dealership servicing honestly doesn't mean anything, in fact I tend to be very sceptical about dealership's workmanship having worked in dealerships before. Where abouts in VIC are you? Cause you can contact the traders on here and look around workshops that work on Hondas.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I just did a major on my Jazz 130,xxxKM

New Oil + Filter = $80
    CVT Fluid x2 (flush) = $200
    Battery (biggest Ohms) = $130 - Missus left the reading lamps on overnight.
    New Spark Plugs = I think these were ~$60/each.
    New Air Filter - $12
    Idler Pulley + Belt - $160
    Head Cover Gasket - $26
    Sea Foam - $23
    Rear Wheel Bearing - $198/per side.
    Replaced Another Coil Pack - $98
    Coolant - $25
    Tranny Mount - $150

Say approx another $50-100 on random items - Brake cleaner, air fresher, interior wipes, hondabond, engine/coolant flush, wipers wd 40, small things that you may have spare at home already.

Its straight forward to do at home, only problem I faced was the manual I downloaded or the only one I could find on the net for free was for the USDM Jazz, them pictures a few bolts extra here and there compared to my jazz. Still very similar.

Also to note, the last time I did a service like this was when I bought the car @ ~64,xxxKM little over 3 years ago. No problems and only change the oil + filter every 5-10,000 KMS and CVT Fluid every 20,000KM.

New set of RE003 for the baby. Away she goes for the next 3 years serving the family.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Hehehe
    Walks us through the proces of doing the fuel filter :P
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum