Thread: Flood damage

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box

Flood damage

Hi,

Does anyone have an experiences with flood damaged cars? My dads car was in metre high flood waters as the carpark where the car was sitting flooded. Basically the cabin flooded and when we went to start it up it was spitting out a heap of water from the exhaust, and blowing white smoke out as well.

I know every case is different but what are the main damages to look for flood affected vehicles?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Electrical and potential rust
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    The ECU will probably fail in about 6 to 8 weeks.

You can prevent this by cleaning the water from its connectors and or inside the ECU with electrical contact cleaner for the connectors and isopropyl alcohol for inside the ECU. also the same for other electronic modules.

Starting an engine with water in it is not a good idea. hopefully the water was only up the tail pipe and not in the engine. Did the engine sound like it was struggling to start or did it fire straight up happily ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    could just save yourself the trouble and finish the job and drive it into a river

then get dat sweet sweet payout from insurance
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

if it's insured it's a write off. Let the company know and let them take it away and forget about it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box
    Yeah car wasn't too happy starting. But still running fine..

We're going through insurance. They are assessing the car. So far they've only listed carpet and ecu. I'm worried about the motor plus rust. Should I take the car to have a second assessment?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    If it's fresh not salt water you should be able to get away with it
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I would've shorted the ecu on purpose before sending it to insurance lol.