Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe

Non power steering

Was out at Eastern creek the other weekend and talking to a competitor who had disconnected his power steering, actually just removed pump and some pipes.
    Now i know when the pump fails the steering becomes heavy so with no liquid in the system does it give the same result. I want to just have a no power rack in my car, can i convert my STD rack to a non power assisted rack or do i need to get a new/secondhand one.
    Thanks.

Easy way...

-remove the pump and disconnect the lines from the rack. Pump out the fluid (just turn the rack lock to lock with the lines undone at the rack, use rags to catch the spillage). Remove all the lines back to the pump and to the P/S cooler if you have one to clean it up, it's not easy to get at with the engine and rack installed though still possible.

Once this is done just get a hose and loop the two ports on the rack to each other.

It will be slightly heavier than a non P/S rack but you get the faster ratio. If for example you just remove the P/S belt it will be a lot heavier because the rack still has to move the fluid back and forth.

Another way is to do all of above but remove the rack completely and take out the seals, only difference is that you are no longer dragging the seals dry in the rack and pumping air back and forth when you steer. This may give you a bit longer life if you do a lot of km's but a lot of people don't bother and never see any issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe
    Thank you rc_ This forum is great, so much information out there. Looks like I am getting dirty again.

No problems.

Just know that if you remove all the hard lines to the rack it will be a bitch to get them back if you ever want to reverse it.

Going by my experience with a dc2 they run between steering rack and underside/firewall over to the passenger side before coming up to the pump and reservoir. It was very tight squeeze to get them out.

Might be easier on other cars or with a hoist etc. if you never want to go back then no need to worry about it though.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe
    No rc_ not going back as its a track car only, one less thing for the motor to turn (pump).

I did this on two of my own and a dozen customers cars - Either drop the subframe and basically remove everything of the PS system to the rack joints... either cut the hard line a little off the joint and run rubber pipes / or make new lines- both to a small reservoir of sorts located above the rack somewhere. Jack up the car, bleed air from system as per usual and top up reservoir.
    You can remove the rack and remove seals but personally wouldn't bother. As long as the loop isn't sealed (is vented) it should be OK.
    Enjoy gay parking but better fees on race track, improved forearm size , saved 15ish kg off and tep
    points from those tha pop ya hood