Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra type r

using CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 for my dc5 type r 2001

hi guys ,,

dunno which engine oil should i use my car now is running on a valvoline engine armour 10w-30 , but the nxt oil change on my car is coming up and wonderin to put a CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 on my dc5 integra ? what would you suggest which oil is better ?

What have you done to the engine? Is it stock or modified?

What do you use the car for?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra type r
    under the hood is all stock , but i just switch back into the stock air intake , i use to have a mugen air intake ,

and i use the car daily like doing short trips like goin to shops and plaza and usin goin to work everyday 27km each way and the car is now goin for 195k km

so you think this CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 fully synthetic oil would be a good one ??

195k...

10W-30, notice any drop in oil level between services?

If not try 5W-30 first and if it drinks then 5W-40...

0W-40 I think will be a little too thin @ cold/startup due to age...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra type r
    no there is no drop of oil at all i am on its 15k km now since i changed the oil and its only like a mil oil drop on the dip stick,

yeah thats what i am worried of the drop of the viscosity of it so you think i should stay on 10w-30 ? or can do 5w-30 ?

cause i go to castrol net lube and it leads me to that CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 fully synthetic oil and i looked at the owners manual and the lowest viscosity rating on the book was 5w-30 but i emailed castrol australia about this CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 fully synthetic oil if this will run fine and good on a dc5 type r honda and i also told them about the owners manual that the lowest viscosity rating was 5w-30 and they said

"The information provided is correct with Honda allowing several different viscosities in this model.

Our preferred recommendation would be the Castrol ‘Edge 0W-40 A3/B4’.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    magnatec 20w50

best
    SSpamily

What he said cos he knows best , dip shit he is , do not listin to him

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by leej8 View Post
    What he said cos he knows best , dip shit he is , do not listin to him
    are you being fkn racist kunt????
    SSpamily

Quote Originally Posted by dc5_dave View Post
    no there is no drop of oil at all i am on its 15k km now since i changed the oil and its only like a mil oil drop on the dip stick,

yeah thats what i am worried of the drop of the viscosity of it so you think i should stay on 10w-30 ? or can do 5w-30 ?

cause i go to castrol net lube and it leads me to that CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 fully synthetic oil and i looked at the owners manual and the lowest viscosity rating on the book was 5w-30 but i emailed castrol australia about this CASTROL EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 fully synthetic oil if this will run fine and good on a dc5 type r honda and i also told them about the owners manual that the lowest viscosity rating was 5w-30 and they said

"The information provided is correct with Honda allowing several different viscosities in this model.

Our preferred recommendation would be the Castrol ‘Edge 0W-40 A3/B4’.

Hi dave, please ignore the above post...

Anyway I checked their net lube out too... 0W-40 I would say better for younger engines as the engine will not be as worn out. Your engine is at least not consuming oil @ 10W-30 but I feel that 10W is a little too thick for cold/startup, 5W will be thin enough to circulate fast while providing enough protection.

I'd go with 5W-30 and observe the changes. Check the dipstick say every 1000kms and log the consumption if any, then you'll know if need to go to 5W-40 or not. Its also good habit to impose a rev limit on yourself in the morning at least till your engine warms up then gradually increase. It pays dividends trust me on this.

Remember your K20A is not a block of steel with dinosaur tech, so the old thought of 'thicker' is better doesn't apply, you'll be doing more harm than good.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra type r
    great !! thanks for a very useful information that u have shared !! this one helps , but what brand of oil do you recommend ? for the 5w-30 viscosity? castrol edge ? valvoline ? pure purple? mobil 1 ?

my k20a engine is now running on its 195 k the last service it has was on 181k but the owners manual tells me to change the oil every 10k or 6 months but the oil filter interval was 180k to 200k so that is 20k km and bit confused on that so i decided to change the oil now cause its been running 15k with same oil , any thoughts ?

Npz man, brand of oil is anyone's guess, everyone has their own preference to what they use. I personally after trying many brands [I kid you not], have stuck with Elf. So it depends on your wallet and your preference my friend

You can go listen or search forums and reviews but take each as an opinion because most are sponsored by a certain competitor. Cost v Performance/Protection

Yeah, I've seen that too, tell yourself this though, you change your oil but retain same filter basically you're filtering your new oil with the oil filter... Does that make much sense to you? 10k/6mth well if you drove like a grandma and use longlife oils etc I don't see why not but I doubt you'd by a DC5R for just the A-B commute.

With my more crazy/fun cars because of their age and consumption I did the 5k/6mths both oil & filter because stretching it out to 7.5k the oil was going off. As for my more daily commuters, 7.5k/6mths both oil & filter seems ok so far.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    integra type r
    well that is so true ma friend, well actually sometimes i drove like a grandma and somtimes like a young teenager driver , but i usually use it commuting to work and home so yeah but i might try changing the oil but not the oil filter cause base on what u said make sense , but so far i see a decreasee of the performance of the car because the age of the oil i think so yeah definitely i need to change the oil