Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I wouldn't say that you can't make any performance mods to it. But in terms of mods that make power your choices are limited because of the engine you run... Swapping to a K-series would make your life more difficult but then you'll have more options in terms of mods.

I would be asking myself how deep my pockets were if I was in your situation. It might be better (cheaper) to sell this car and get yourself something which you can find mods for. Any B series (vtec) or K series.

It doesn't even have to be expensive either, you can find some really nice EK civics which are really good platforms to build on or DC2 Integras. Newer EP civics and DC5 Integras would be more expensive obviously.

You should sit down and see what your budget is and how much you want to spend overall with the car and the build and then go from there. It would also be a good idea to set yourself a power figure to aim for and see what mods can get you there for the money you have budgeted for.

Remember this but:

Cheap + Power = Not reliable
    Power + Reliable = Not cheap
    Reliable + Cheap = No power

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2008
    Yeah, I getcha. I reckon doing a K-swap would be too pricey for what my original plan was; to have a bit of fun and gain some experience.

Let's say I lay down $1k-around 1.5k for the Civic, would that be sufficient to make a bit of gains, taking into account that it's the R18? And exactly how much could be gained from that? I'm assuming somewhere between 20-50hp at most? [I'm probably wrong on that one]

Personally, am not much a fan of the Ek's, but I wouldn't mind a teggy, but am looking into a rwd for the next car, and may possibly do a switchy to a nissan or something of the like. Still undecided as yet.

Sorry for being so novice, ahaha..Still tryna get a grasp of things.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.29 View Post
    Yeah, I getcha. I reckon doing a K-swap would be too pricey for what my original plan was; to have a bit of fun and gain some experience.

Let's say I lay down $1k-around 1.5k for the Civic, would that be sufficient to make a bit of gains, taking into account that it's the R18? And exactly how much could be gained from that? I'm assuming somewhere between 20-50hp at most? [I'm probably wrong on that one]

Personally, am not much a fan of the Ek's, but I wouldn't mind a teggy, but am looking into a rwd for the next car, and may possibly do a switchy to a nissan or something of the like. Still undecided as yet.

Sorry for being so novice, ahaha..Still tryna get a grasp of things.
    spend 2k, get 5hp

leave it stock, its a nugget
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Just do a Catback for a bit of sound and leave the headers and cat.
    Changing headers will make quite loud. And a Loud Auto Civic isnt very fun. It'll drone heaps and probably be bit farty.

If I were to dump $1,000 - $1,500 I would spend on parts that makes the car more enjoyable to drive.
    -Sound System
    -Coilovers and a RSB
    - Or just a nice set of wheels and lower it on springs.

Me personally, I'd get coilovers Drop it on its guts lol

Heres Bae

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I have bad news for you... you should go and have a look at your VIN (Vehicle identification number) it's on your registration....it should start with JHM and then have some letters and numbers after.... You say you have an FD1 but that's the JDM civic.
    Chances are you have the (European) FN1 or FK2. The engine in your car is most likely an R18A2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_R_engine

It's far from a performance engine.... the i-VTEC in that civic pretty much shuts down one or more cylinders when it cruises. The i-VTEC system in anything else but a type R is meant to save you fuel not give you power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Bro, save your money. Spend 500 max on a cat-back exhaust to make it sound nice and get yourself a set of rims to make it look nice and stop. Modifying that engine will burn a BIG hole in your pocket and you won't see any power.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    spend 2k, get 5hp

leave it stock, its a nugget
    Will do, haha. That is a fair point; doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_FD View Post
    Just do a Catback for a bit of sound and leave the headers and cat.
    Changing headers will make quite loud. And a Loud Auto Civic isnt very fun. It'll drone heaps and probably be bit farty.

If I were to dump $1,000 - $1,500 I would spend on parts that makes the car more enjoyable to drive.
    -Sound System
    -Coilovers and a RSB
    - Or just a nice set of wheels and lower it on springs.

Me personally, I'd get coilovers Drop it on its guts lol

Heres Bae

Yeah, I'll probs just do the catback for around that $400-$500 range, and get coilovers after for a drop in ride height. How much would I be set back if I go for coils? And what's the comfort of them like in general, and over speed humps?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I have bad news for you... you should go and have a look at your VIN (Vehicle identification number) it's on your registration....it should start with JHM and then have some letters and numbers after.... You say you have an FD1 but that's the JDM civic.
    Chances are you have the (European) FN1 or FK2. The engine in your car is most likely an R18A2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_R_engine

It's far from a performance engine.... the i-VTEC in that civic pretty much shuts down one or more cylinders when it cruises. The i-VTEC system in anything else but a type R is meant to save you fuel not give you power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Bro, save your money. Spend 500 max on a cat-back exhaust to make it sound nice and get yourself a set of rims to make it look nice and stop. Modifying that engine will burn a BIG hole in your pocket and you won't see any power.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the FD1. It's the sedan version, not the hatch european model. I'll upload a pic tomorrow when I actually have some lighting.
    Last edited by Daniel.29; 20-05-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    My mistake, the FN1 and FK2 are hatches...either way it won't be an FD1.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Check your VIN number

I have a del sol and the VIN starts with JHMEG2

J= Japan (country of maker)
    HM= Honda Motor Co
    EG2= chassis number.
    Go from there...photos won't help. they all look the same but they have different engines in them.

For example, the EK9R has a B16B engine while the AUDM EKs have the D16Y sohc engine...the difference is night and day.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2008
    My mistake, the FN1 and FK2 are hatches...either way it won't be an FD1.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ladyonwheels-anton-stance-hellaflush-civic-fd1-jakarta-Indonesia-1.jpg 
Views:	3749 
Size:	601.8 KB 
ID:	28142

Wait, isn't this the FD?

Check your VIN number

I have a del sol and the VIN starts with JHMEG2

J= Japan (country of maker)
    HM= Honda Motor Co
    EG2= chassis number.
    Go from there...photos won't help. they all look the same but they have different engines in them.

For example, the EK9R has a B16B engine while the AUDM EKs have the D16Y sohc engine...the difference is night and day.

Yep, will do now. One moment.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2008
    Yeah, I just checked. It says MRH FD1 followed by more digits.

I'm assuming that stands for Malaysia as place of make, RH for right hand, and FD1 for the model?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    You can make the civic fd quick around a corner and they pull good too if you dont mind wasting $$ but that its, its got heaps of space for 4 adults and has a big boot. Only a sadist would spend money looking for more power.

FD1 = 8th Gen Civic Sedans. Vti or VTi-L. both came with a SOHC R18 Egnine.
    FD2 = 8th Gen Civic Sedens. Sports model with K20z2