Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT

[CU2] Automatic transmission issue

Hi guys,

I just picked up a second hand accord Euro 2009 model with 110K on the clock. All services have been done through Honda and on time so far. So far the car seems to be driving pretty well without engine ping or oil consumption issues, however I noticed there's a very slight whistle from the transmission when acceleration in first and second gear and even fainter in 3rd gear (almost not audible in 3rd). I haven't driven any other euros in auto to compare and see if this in normal. Has anyone here who owns an Auto CU2 notice this sound ? Is it normal or should I be worried ? the transmission seems to function great otherwise.. It shift up and down very smoothly and reacts fairly quick for an automatic.
    also I should mention that the car will be due for a transmission fluid change at the next 120K service... Could changing the transmission oil 10K sooner help things ?

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotb777_300 View Post
    Hi guys,

Could changing the transmission oil 10K sooner help things ?

Thanks
    YES x 1000
    and change it a couple more times after that
    Dont forget that there is an inline filter tooo
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    YES x 1000
    and change it a couple more times after that
    Dont forget that there is an inline filter tooo

should I change it now once myself and wait till it gets changed again at the 120K service ? would that be sufficient enough flush or should I change it multiple times now myself pretty one after the other ? also how critical is it to do a filter change ? does Honda normally do this when they change the fluid at 120K service ?

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    read my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-to-read-this*

One single fluid change only removes approx 1/3rd of the actual fluid capacity in the transmission

honda transmission fluid change interval too high, i should've been done every 40k at the least. Honda's 80k
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT
    ok so I've changed the transmission oil. Lets just say, what came out of that box wasn't pretty. It was nice and black, however there wasn't much metal shavings on the plug, just a thin film of sludge (Very fine metal particles). I managed to get 3L out of the box and 3L back in there again. Gear changes are def smoother but noise wise, its pretty much the same as it was before the fluid change. I'll do another flush tomorrow and see if that changes anything further.

tru redline d4 fluid, will stop the whine
    CU2 Auto ECU Flashed Finally extra power

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT
    Quote Originally Posted by 08r3308 View Post
    tru redline d4 fluid, will stop the whine
    hmmm do we know why it will stop the whine or what is causing the whine to begin with ? I was thinking today when driving the car it sounded very similar to my old S2000 diff whine at certain loads !.... (although much less faint and changes pitch with increasing RPM)

I used the standard honda fluid today. Might try some redline stuff as my final fluid after the next flush tomorrow.

Redline is just so much better fluid .
    Might need 2 flashes to cure whine
    CU2 Auto ECU Flashed Finally extra power

I changed the tranny filter at about 30,000km. Hard to see but there was quite a bit of metal specs and pieces when I back flush the filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filter.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	28346

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT
    ok so I've changed the transmission fluid 3 times now and put redline D6 into it as the final fluid. Still the same. No change in the way it shifts or sounds since the first flush. I've been reading some horror stories form the US sites about honda auto transmissions going bang after a whine starts but I think I'll just accept this as just one of the cars little niggles. It may have been there since day one, who knows. Everything seems to be working ok so hopefully the whine doesn't get any worse !

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord
    Mine is a 2011 euro auro with 40,000 on it & it wines a bit. I think it is the nature of the beast. I did a oil complete flush at 35,000 kys using Honda oil but it didn't quieten down but I carn't here it in the cab but when I open the window it is there. I think this is the way they are.

Filter should also be changed. Most possibly clogged at those km. for severe driving conditions the inline filter should be changed often, ie 40k intervals or so.