Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi

96 ek civic cranking but not starting

hey friends,
    my old man's 96 civic sedan isn't starting
    It stopped mid-drive one day and conked out.. and hasn't started again
    its cranking over but not firing up
    I took the distributor apart and cleaned contact points and also the spark plugs etc
    attached is a video what is happening
    any chance anyone knows what could be the main problems?
    when i took off the distributor cap and cranked the engine, the rotor didn't seem to be turning over at all
    thanks in advanced https://youtu.be/Tb8KuRNFhPc

Stop trying to start it.. you might fry the distributor coil or igniter - or both.

In that context check or replace both the dizzy igniter and coil....both are prone to fail. Also look at cleaning/resoldering your main fuel relay

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    sounds like a snapped timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    sounds like a snapped timing belt

Thanks for the feedback thus far Ben and ecu.
    Ecu do you think that sound is different to a normal cranking sound? It does from memory sound a tad High pitch than normal.
    I'll try replace the ignition coil inside the distributor then if that doesn't work the entire distributor.. And if that doesn't work do you guys think it could possibly be a snapped belt?
    Thanks again

If the rotor isnt turning but the motor is - the camshaft isnt rotating either and as ECUMAN said your timing belt has snapped. Take off your cam cover to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    Thanks for the feedback thus far Ben and ecu.
    Ecu do you think that sound is different to a normal cranking sound? It does from memory sound a tad High pitch than normal.
    I'll try replace the ignition coil inside the distributor then if that doesn't work the entire distributor.. And if that doesn't work do you guys think it could possibly be a snapped belt?
    Thanks again
    Yes, cranking sounds different to normal. Doesn't sound like its igniting at all In the video which can indicate belt failure (amongst other things) or could have skipped a tooth but you normally hear some sounds from attempted ignition or compression pumping out intake/exhaust if the valves are opening at the wrong times.

Why not check the timing belt first before buying parts? Very easy, either take off the timing belt cover or take off the distributor and see if the cam is turning will tell you pretty quickly if there is a major issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    Timing belt has snapped, only thing spinning is that crank
    better get that car to a mechanic and get it sorted.
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    Open the oil cap, get a little torch and shine into the hole, get someone to crank the engine and see if anything moves in that hole. If nothing moves in there whilst cranking, then you sir have diagnosed your car with a snapped timing belt
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon-Accord View Post
    Open the oil cap, get a little torch and shine into the hole, get someone to crank the engine and see if anything moves in that hole. If nothing moves in there whilst cranking, then you sir have diagnosed your car with a snapped timing belt
    Hi guys
    So I took off the rocker cover and cranked the engine, nothing moved
    However I also took off the timing belt cover and the timing belt didn't look snapped?
    Bit confused, or could it be snapped down the bottom where I couldn't see?
    Thanks again
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    Hi guys
    So I took off the rocker cover and cranked the engine, nothing moved
    However I also took off the timing belt cover and the timing belt didn't look snapped?
    Bit confused, or could it be snapped down the bottom where I couldn't see?
    Thanks again
    Chris
    It should be pretty obvious if the belt has failed.

When you say "nothing moves" do you mean the belt remained stationary or just camshaft/cam pulleys did not turn?

Did the belt move but not the camshaft?

Does the timing belt still have tension? It could be snapped lower down behind the covers where you can't see. Take the lower cover off to check.

Did the crank pulley turn when cranking? Is the starter actually engaging the flywheel?

Try turning the engine over by hand at the crank pulley bolt (removing spark plugs first will make it easier). Get someone to watch if the belt is driving the cams still while you are turning it over, check while turning over that everything feels smooth. Stop if you feel any mechanical resistance. You should not be cranking the engine if your timing belt is not correctly engaged, you can cause major damage if the valves contact the pistons!

Get a copy of the service manual and look at the instructions for replacing the timing belt, it will show you the specifics about checking alignment of timing marks specific to your engine.

Good luck.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    It should be pretty obvious if the belt has failed.

When you say "nothing moves" do you mean the belt remained stationary or just camshaft/cam pulleys did not turn?

Did the belt move but not the camshaft?

Does the timing belt still have tension? It could be snapped lower down behind the covers where you can't see. Take the lower cover off to check.

Did the crank pulley turn when cranking? Is the starter actually engaging the flywheel?

Try turning the engine over by hand at the crank pulley bolt (removing spark plugs first will make it easier). Get someone to watch if the belt is driving the cams still while you are turning it over, check while turning over that everything feels smooth. Stop if you feel any mechanical resistance. You should not be cranking the engine if your timing belt is not correctly engaged, you can cause major damage if the valves contact the pistons!

Get a copy of the service manual and look at the instructions for replacing the timing belt, it will show you the specifics about checking alignment of timing marks specific to your engine.

Good luck.
    When I took off the rocker cover and timing belt cover and cranked engine. Nothing moved. Neither. Its a bit of a pickle might just get old man to take it to the mechanic. The belt definitely doesn't seem to be broken as it is tight on the pulleys.

Sounds like a good plan. A mechanic should be able to diagnose it pretty quickly.