Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe

What to you take to a track day

As my first track day is approaching I was thinking of what to take, now apart from the obvious, Fuel, Oil, Tools and Tyre pressure gauge what do you expreienced track day people take.

When we were Go-karting we had everything bar the kitchen sink (some even had it)

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Safety First! for yourself and your engine !

Get a decent helmet and please make sure your belts and seat mounts/rails are all in good condition, Flush and bleed your brake fluid.. Obviously fresh oil and oil filter.. but we consider a Baffled Oil Pan as essential !!

We have B16A, B18C/B16B, K20A and F20C SPOON Baffled Oil Pans if you need

otherwise, main thing is to ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Don't set ridiculous lap times that would qualify you for the front row of the grid of V8 Supercars, you'll quickly find the limits of your vehicle and your driving abilities Recommended that you get a qualified Instructor to do a few ride-alongs as their experience and tips are invaluable !

Best thing is a good attitude. Don't do stupid shit. Turn up on time and listen to the track managers drivers brief carefully and follow all the rules. Understand that your street tyres and brakes will only last half a dozen good laps.

Oh and bring a big ass box to put all your crap in while your on the track. Last thing you want is a pile of old clothes, scratched CD's and subwoofers rolling around the parking lot while your on a session. :P

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe
    Thanks for the quick replies, My car is fully stripped on the inside and only have one seat but taking it easy at first is my main objective its been to long since i last drove in anger.

The baffled oil pan is one thing I was looking at doing later but may bring that forward.

Do tracks like EC and Wakefield have power (240v) around to run small compressor for tyre pressure changes.

I have a jump pack and 12V compressor I always take to events - that way you can fiddle with tyre pressures

Since you've raced karts, I'll assume you know more about racing than most noobs, so we don't need to discuss track craft or any of that stuff - it'll come back to you by the second lap.

Most track days don't allow passing except on the main straight, and both drivers need to be aware of the pass. Keep your eye on the mirrors, as you will probably end up on track at the same time as some of the turbo guys (most likely you'll hose them through the corners, but they'll whip past you on the straights)

Whenever I do an event, I take the following:
    Tools
    Deck chairs
    Spare tyres
    Wheel brace
    Jack with solid piece of chequer plate to use as a base (we're usually in a dirt paddock)
    Chassis stands
    Paper towels
    Wet ones (good for washing your hands if there is no tap / soap nearby)
    Windex (surprising how dirty the windscreen gets, though my events are on gravel, so dust is the order of the day)
    Zip ties - you can never have too many!!
    Hammer (never know if you need to do a little fine tuning of your aero)
    Spare fluids as you said
    Hose clamps and spare rad hoses isn't necessarily a bad idea
    Gazebo is a good idea of there's no other shade
    Snacks - usually fruit
    Lots of cold drinking water
    Panadol (don't know about you but I always get a headache by the end of the day)

CAMS licence and logbook (and for QLD registered cars don't forget CTP extension - seen more than one person turned away because they didn't have that)

Probably lots of other stuff I have forgotten, but that's the general gist

Quote Originally Posted by Howardm View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies, My car is fully stripped on the inside and only have one seat but taking it easy at first is my main objective its been to long since i last drove in anger.

The baffled oil pan is one thing I was looking at doing later but may bring that forward.

Do tracks like EC and Wakefield have power (240v) around to run small compressor for tyre pressure changes.

Just a heads up

Remove only the bits that will fly around - IE non tied down parts like everything in the wheel well or random bits under your seat , in glove box etc. Removing seats spare tyre etc won't make the slightest difference in your "time".
    In that theme , if this is a road car on ROAD tyres you do not need a baffled sump. That is for semi and slick use. Just monitor your oil level throughout the day.
    I can suggest a cigarette outlet powered air pump for tyres - I have one out of my Audi which I take for other cars and it works great to fill up tyres after the event. I'm sure you can get one from super cheap auto etc

I believe Howard is building a time attack car, so it's already stripped out (see his build thread)

Agree on removing only necessary stuff in a road car though. I used to love turning up in my bog stock WRX (complete with kiddie seats) and flogging Skylines and Clubbies at the track (even beat the GTR's when the track was wet). I even left the spare wheel in the boot - just because I could.

Oh, another thing I've done in the past was to have a piece of wood I could use as a tyre chock in the pit parking bay. That way I didn't have to pull the handbrake on with red hot brakes if they didn't cool enough on the cool down lap (were usually still smoking by the time I got to the pits). This also let me leave the engine running for a few minutes to let the turbo cool / spool down (ie didn't have to park in gear). Probably overkill, but easy enough to manage.

great points , especially the wood block - nothing worse pulling up due to track being flagged and you can't stop on a flat surface with red hot brakes !

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe
    Thanks Hondarally, some good tips thanks , you would not believe how many times we left the deck chairs out of our kart trailer, just sat in the trailer.

Have added more things to my list, its been so long with a car to play with i completely forgot about hot brakes binding if the car was not rocked for a while.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    great points , especially the wood block - nothing worse pulling up due to track being flagged and you can't stop on a flat surface with red hot brakes !
    I don't understand this, can someone please explain?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic coupe
    What he means is that after you have just flogged your car around the track your brakes if not let cool down can have the pads bind to the disc.
    Thats why F1 teams shove a leaf blower up the brake cooling ducts when they stop for a extended time in the pits.
    V8SC teams are doing the same i noticed the other day.
    Before leaf blowers we used to rock the car back and forward for a few minutes to let brakes cool.
    The block is if you are not on level ground, its a chock to stop the car moving and not use your hand brake if you have one.