Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring up DRL's

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado

Wiring up DRL's

Hi all,

I got some DRL's for my Jazz that fit in the factory molds off Ebay. I need to wire them up this week. I was going to get +ve power from the accessory fuse but the fuses are under the steering wheel it seems. Is there a suitable +ve power source in the engine bay somewhere?
    Jazz: stock, K&N panel filter.
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    I'll update my own thread here:
    I found the fuse box diagram here:
    http://www.hondajazzlover.com/forum/...nguage=english
    Found fuse 15 is for DRL's. Tested it with a Multimeter and it does give out 12V when the ignition is on. Went and bought a 7.5amp fuse for it.
    Now I believe there is a plug just below the battery attached to the front of the chassis that may be for DRL's. I can then get 12V and -ve from there and it's all factory fitted.

Unless I find out any different I'll take the battery out some time this week and get access to that plug and see what it does
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Well I removed the battery and found the plug I thought was free was actually the horn. No biggy, I'll just run it through grommet in the firewall. Couldn't get a line through, gave up on that idea and started feeding wires through the bumper so that was done and realised the DRL's don't freaking fit. Put everything back together and sent a message to the ebay seller.
    FYI, the items was http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121279695...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Don't buy it.
    Last edited by BiLL|z0r; 28-07-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    After the ebay seller said basically tough titties I removed the DRL part from the plastic mold and mounted them on the front of the car.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../DRL%20off.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...L/DRL%20on.jpg
    -ve was sourced from chucking the black wire under a bolt to ground it.
    +ve was sourced from the OEM DRL fuse location in the under dash fuse box. Because the firewall on these is so far back I ran the cable between the side body panel and the chassis and then inside the car. Looks a bit dodgy but meh.

That's pretty dog of the seller...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    That's bullcrap.

Did you give them 0 star feedback and a F---- WOULD NOT BUY FROM AGAIN comment?

Thanks for posting this, better that people know than don't.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Also a bit bummed the DRL relay that turns them off when the the headlights turn on must be after the fuse as they stay on. Cbf fixing it now but will eventually put a relay in for that.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    Also a bit bummed the DRL relay that turns them off when the the headlights turn on must be after the fuse as they stay on. Cbf fixing it now but will eventually put a relay in for that.
    That's how DRL's are supposed to function
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

How did you pay?
    Paypal can refund you

Or you can report the guy to ebay for misleading title description
    Do you have a 2nd gen jazz with triangle headlights or the "new" jazz with LED headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    DRLs can work in one of two ways.

First way is to turn off when parking lights/lowbeams are on since LEDs are directional lights similar to a highbeam, they will cause glare at night.

Second way: this is seen on some audis the DRLs run on a 20% duty cycle using PWM when the headlights are on, this in turn makes them the new parking lights

The second way is more complicated and might not be legal in all markets which is why the first way is the most common one used.

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    It does neither. Just stays on. According to the manual for the model with DRL's they should turn off when the headlights turn on though.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    OH whoops i misread your post haha
    It's quite possible that the relay isn't included with the car

I once tried to get the DRLs working in the civic. THe circuit wasn't there.

There's a circuit the s2000 guys use to bring canadian models into the US. https://alavigne.net/Motorsports/Fea...rts/S2000/DRL/

Maybe you can do something simliar
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

You will need to install a relay and hook it up in this manner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drl.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	28621