Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Car not starting after distributor seal repair

Hi guys,

got a bit of a problem and really need some advice on getting my car going again.

Its a d16y4 engine and had oil leaking from the distributor. So... I decided to take it a part change the O ring and the shaft seal (took me a whole week to find the shaft seal from an online store in USA which happened to have a distributor in Sydney). Once I put it all back together, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. It cranks but then goes dies into a 'spluttering' kind of sound. Pretty sure all the leads are connected correctly, I marked it out so when i put it back the position hadn't changed.. so what could it be?

Very frustrating as it was working fine before all this, and my car has been our of action for 1.5 weeks now.

appreciate any advice.

Don't try to start it over and over again - that will kill the coil or igniter or both.
    Dont be "pretty sure" the leads are the right location , be 100% sure.

I would confirm the lead layout , then take the cap off and check the igniter , rotor and coil - Id replace all three with new OEM bits just to be sure. Also make sure the dizzy isn't too far advanced or regarded compared to its original position

let me re-phrase, I'm 100% sure the leads are plugged in correctly. I only tried to start it twice and got worried i'd do more damage if I had kept trying.

I marked out the position and when I re-installed, it was in the exact same position. very strange how it can all just stop working when it was working perfectly fine before taking it off.

how can i test if its the coil?

Any other idea guys? want to avoid spending more money if it isn't the issue i guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    you can test individual components with a multimeter using google's help
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Wat. Why did my comments get deleted? Was legit trying to help. 100% results with finger in leads test
    SSpamily

well, it wasn't me that deleted it... I managed to you tube it and tested the coil. That looks to be sparking fine, but given these distributors are a tad different inside than any of the civics they have on you tube, I am not sure how I can test the ignition module to see if that is sending a signal. Will see if i can google something unless anyone has experience with this?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    My guess is your rotor is 180 out or you didnt corretly mark timing before you removed the dizzy
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

I marked the timing before i took it off and put it back in the exact same position. I thought it can be only put back one way though? it wouldn't go in if you turn it 180 degrees would it?

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    It does go in with a bit of friction. The slot is slightly off center
    SSpamily

I guess i can try it rotating it 180 degrees and slotting it back in. How much damage can this cause? lol