Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a car from another state.

Hi all just a quick question does anyone have any experience with buying a car from another state and getting it changed into your name

I'll be buying a dc5r from nsw in the coming weeks I'm from qld.
    I will be getting the car changed into my name once I buy it so i just wanted to see if there will be any problems with me getting it changed into my name since its from nsw ? or will it be just the same as buying a car from qld?
    do i just go into transport and just get it changed over ect.
    any help is appreciated thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    No idea in QLD but in ACT you just have to get a rego inspection and provide a transfer of rego or receipt of sale (if the cars got no rego) and bam! Done for ever (unless you get a defect)

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    In Queensland it could get tricky.

If the car was written off in NSW you may have to take the car to the pitts and prove that the car was repaired correctly providibg receipts for all work and parts.

Otherwise it should be the same as buying a Qld car.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

No it is certainly NOT just like buying a car from QLD

The seller will have to deregister the car, and then you have to get new rego in QLD. You can transfer a car interstate if it stays in the same name, and you can change owners as long as it stays in the same state, but you cant do both together.
    It's not difficult to get a car registered in QLD. You need a QLD safety certificate (the NSW one won't do), get CTP insurance and take it to the transport department.

You are allowed to drive the car from your house directly to the mechanic, and then directly to the DOT for rego without worrying about an unregistered vehicle permit. However, you MUST have the CTP insurance certificate (this can be emailed to you, but none of them do it on weekends, so make sure you plan this a couple of days earlier).

Depending on how you plan to transport the car to QLD, you might need to arrange an unregistered vehicle permit from the seller's place to your place. As the journey starts in NSW, you might have to do this through NST's RTA - I'm not certain about that. Best to call QLD DOT and find out exactly what is needed (or google their site - it most likely has details of what you need to do)

nar the car is fine its coming with a rwc its also registered.
    I just wasn't sure if i needed some other form of paper work since its from another state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    No it is certainly NOT just like buying a car from QLD

The seller will have to deregister the car, and then you have to get new rego in QLD. You can transfer a car interstate if it stays in the same name, and you can change owners as long as it stays in the same state, but you cant do both together.
    It's not difficult to get a car registered in QLD. You need a QLD safety certificate (the NSW one won't do), get CTP insurance and take it to the transport department.

You are allowed to drive the car from your house directly to the mechanic, and then directly to the DOT for rego without worrying about an unregistered vehicle permit. However, you MUST have the CTP insurance certificate (this can be emailed to you, but none of them do it on weekends, so make sure you plan this a couple of days earlier).

Depending on how you plan to transport the car to QLD, you might need to arrange an unregistered vehicle permit from the seller's place to your place. As the journey starts in NSW, you might have to do this through NST's RTA - I'm not certain about that. Best to call QLD DOT and find out exactly what is needed (or google their site - it most likely has details of what you need to do)

hmm cheers for the heads up man seems like alot of messing around ill go into dot and see them about it.

I will be flying down there and driving the car back up into qld.

will it be fine if we change the car into my name but keep it registered in nsw ? or will i have to get it registered into qld since i live in qld ?

If registering in New South Wales what address will the car be residing at? It might work if you have a relative, or otherwise a 'garage address' that you can transfer ownership to otherwise you're going to be shit out of luck. In my case I have a relative living in New South Wales. I could be claiming to live at this address and then drive home and cancel the registration myself at the point of getting back to Queensland, however there is no simple way of transferring ownership and registration to Queensland from New South Wales if this is not the case. Your only option otherwise is to cancel the registration and get an unregistered vehicle permit to transfer the car to Queensland, or alternatively put it on a truck/train and have it taken back to Queensland.
    Last edited by Integra-GSi; 22-10-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Don't do it it's a trap
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Has to be a QLD roadworthy

Edit: hondarally just told you everything you need to know

thread closed
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Thread re opened
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    thread closed, no spamming guys (including moderators- looking at you superda9)
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    thread closed, no spamming guys (including moderators- looking at you superda9)
    Aw shucks
    -ZAMMIN-

- Integra-GSi 19/11/2015