Help changing springs (accord 96)

Hi,

I'm kinda new here (in this forum and in australia as well). I bought last month a Honda accord cd5 1996 2.2 vtec and I'm willing to do some upgrades myself. I recently bought also a set of lowered springs because the whole coilover set was too expensive for me at the moment. As I've always done things myself, I came to you guys to ask for some help before I get started.

I bought some tools sets which are basically an open ended wrench set (from 10mm to 17mm i think), a close ended similar one and the sockets from 10 to 22mm skipping 16mm, 18mm and 20mm.

So in few words, could someone describe the procedure in the accord and which extra tools should I have?

I used to do this in my VW Passat 1988 back in my country and basically was:

Front: remove the wheel. Remove the center nut which holds the drive shaft to the hub. Remove 2 screws which hold the brake caliper. Remove the disc brake. Remove the link between the control arm and the suspension leg. Remove the tie rod link. Remove the top screws which hold the suspension leg and take it out. Then just compress the spring and disassemble the leg to change it.

Rear: just loose the bottom end of the shock, lift the car, remove the springs and change it.

Of course the suspension structure is different as that VW leg has the shock, the springs AND the wheel bearing so the drive shaft goes through the leg as well as the disc brake/hub is attatched to it. From what I've seen, hondas have a different structure. So what exaclty I HAVE to take it out and what do I not need to? And what about the rear?

By the way, I'm about to buy the spring compressor tool as I'll need it. But besides that, any other special tool?

One last thing: I know you guys here in Australia usually are totally against cutting the springs but the lowest spring I saw can drop only between 2.25'' and 2.5''. I believe the gap in my car is greater than that and I only want to remove it. This way I'm thinking of cutting just a little piece of them since they don't have a pigtail ending and maybe heating them to adjust the cut end (and let it cool in oil). Am I allowed to do that by the law?

Sorry for my english and especially for the parts names hah

Thanks!

Please DONT CUT SPRINGS

Here is a handy link to help your DIY out
    http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...-pics-2188254/

If you are in Sydney , stuck / lazy or rich just pm me and I can do it cheaply and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Please DONT CUT SPRINGS

Here is a handy link to help your DIY out
    http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...-pics-2188254/

If you are in Sydney , stuck / lazy or rich just pm me and I can do it cheaply and quickly.
    This fella gives sexy muscluar service for both car and owner...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter