Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA

DC5 - Why will adding an exhaust slow me down ..or myth?

Originally I purchased my 03 Integra DC5 and thought all I wanted it for was looks and a good stereo setup but over the two years along with cosmetic additions I've also included a GruppeM air intake. I want to add a HKS Hi-Power exhaust but was told at the shop its not uncommon for guys to get an air intake/exhaust, expect gains and then end up with a slower car (that still sounds good). Why would adding an exhaust cause lag? I thought it'd do the opposite and boost it a bit.

If in fact it will cause lag, can anything be done to combat this with a sensible budget that wouldn't make me think to just rather upgrade car?

Cheers guys

You can go too large with an exhaust and lose back powerbut the right sized exhaust should give you a power gain.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    It will feel abit flat because you aren't getting a tune.

The stock ecu will make minor changes, but to see a full advantage you will need a tune.

Tune in a Honda anit cheap. You can buy a fk around civic for less than the cost of tuning a Honda.

If going fast was gonna be a thing for you, should've just started with a type R.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    PS: Kids with money like to get I/H/E and tune.

Its like the cheap build formula for cars. I'd go one deeper and get drop in cams for lols.

If your lucky if proper sized pipes and tuned for 98 might see you 10-20kW (im being nice output) bringing your car to around where the stock type R is already at.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    It won't slow you down and it won't feel flat unless they do an aweful job of it.
    As with all things you get what you pay for and up to a point you pay for brand but an off the shelf exhaust from a reputable brand will see a slight gain.

On a NA car A larger free flowing exhaust system , without supporting intake flow increase , extra fuel and timing ( IE tuned to suit)
    will lose bottom to mid range "feel" and gain a tiny tiny bit peak power. And more noise . Essentially pushing your power band up up and away.

That , makes your car slower on the butt dyno

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA
    Thank you for the replies. I'm not looking for major gains, I just want to achieve a sound that makes me love my car again every time I turn on the ignition without sacrificing speed. Great gains? Awesome. Good gains? I'm happy. A lack in performance? Second guessing my decision. This is just my daily so I'm just trying to get the most out of what I've got. It won't let me link it directly but here: http://www.hksaustralia.com.au/products/exhaust and then 'Silent Hi-Power' .. is it at all possible to discover whether this would be beneficial or a waste of $$? I'd love to upgrade but I still love this car and would rather work on her to improve performance where possible than selling it and regretting it.

Well the DC5R/S Silent Hi-Power has been discontinued for a few years iirc...

I'm not 100% sure but if it fits just find a 2nd hand system for DC5R/S here and be done with it, no point buying brand new.

As the others have said and I'll add a little more, a small NA engine won't see much if any gains [At times] from simple I/H/E (There are times when its so restricted from factory that when opened up you see more than normal gains). If you want to gain even mild amounts in peak power that everyone loves to talk about, you either have to rev higher [Same displacement, cams, etc], increase displacement/engine size or add force induction [Turbo/Supercharging].

Hondas in general have been highly tuned from factory [For factory spec] so finding gains from custom or aftermarket parts are premium at best. If you really love your Integra then go for it just don't expect much if anything purely because of your engine and physics. Otherwise switch to a DC5R or DC5S, most of them are modded so don't have to spend much.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    The poor kunt just wants to know if he'll lose power with a damn exhaust Jesus Christ.

No you won't

/thread
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    The poor kunt just wants to know if he'll lose power with a damn exhaust Jesus Christ.

No you won't

/thread
    hun pls

As said

He will lose power low to mid range and gain a touch of feels top end. Pls

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hun pls

as said

he will lose power low to mid range and gain a touch of feels top end. Pls
    Help RAPEEEEEE
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

The answer to the OP's question is obvious. If he ADDS an exhaust, then yes it will slow him down (will need a trailer axle too!)