Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    Quote Originally Posted by 42883512 View Post
    are you going to get JDM plates?
    I'll just leave it. The current international plates is close to actual JDM size plates. It looks JDM enough, plus with my numberplates = JDM = JDMYO!
    Will go JDM plates for the EG.

Quote Originally Posted by ktran View Post
    How are you progressing with the car? Have you gotten new engine mounts yet? If so, how do you find the Hardrace?
    I have a set of J's Racing and am a little hesitant installing them. Still unsure whether to go with the stiffer mounts or not.
    Well, since my mounts are 10 years old, I can't give you a fair, direct comparison between stock vs Hardrace mounts, only busted driver's side engine mount + alright condition other three mounts vs Hardrace.
    Well, now, no more unnecessary wheel hops, less engine movement... more responsive engine, increased cabin vibration slightly for dat racecar feel and slight increase in exhaust note to go with it.

Again, if you can't see my pics, do let me know.

Deezz nuts! Rays nuts. Gotti!
    Smells like a new book!

Picked up a used set of Spoon sussy from a fellow Jazz member.

He ran Spoon springs as well, but he couldn't find the rear set of springs, only had the front set.
    What am I gonna do with just the fronts, Spoon progressive springs have been discontinued.
    So I hunted down an alternate set of springs, eventually I finalised with Eibach, under $350 posted.

A ~4cm (1.6") drop is what I was after, low enough to look 'stanced' enough, along with associate performance gains.

Parts ordered from Japan. Made to order. Decided with J's racing Tow Hook instead of Carbing, to save that $60+.

Hardrace engine mounts: (Top left: Passenger lower side | Top right: Rear | Bottom left: Passenger/transmission mount | Bottom right: Driver's side mount)

At first, all I used was the trolley jack to support the engine, but I needed more degree in movement (for transmission and rear mount, much needed), so I had to use the engine crane as well.

The first mount to change was the driver's side!

Look at that! I knew the mount was leaking oil! (Note: I pulled back the mount a bit to show the crack.)
    Man, with the Jazz's compact engine bay, replacing this engine mount is tough, abs lines, AC lines and fuse box all in the way! I am not a fully grown man yet (22 as of now), with small/medium sized hands. Would be a tonne harder with large hands.

Next, was the transmission mount. On the other side of the engine bay, haz alot more room (underneath the battery).
    Left is of course the old mount. Showing signs of early engine mount wear around the edges of the mount, still in drivable condition though. I rate it 6/10 condition.

Next up, and by far the most easiest, was the side mount:

Also showing cracks, condition wise I'd rate it a 5/10.

And so, the rear engine mount, I should of attempted this first, because you need to loosen all the other mounts' bolts and nuts to replace this.

(Looking on the forward direction of the car, the cat is just behind on the left.)

As the cat was in the way as well as the power steering line, my normal ratchet didn't fit. Using the uni-joint was awkward, couldn't really apply much force. Ended up ordering a flexy spanner set and flexy ratchet.

Gave up on the rear engine mount for now, moved onto suspension upgrade!

So here is at stock suspension:

MCM shoe test. In my case, it is the safety boot test!

The outer springs are fronts, middles are for the rear.

Sussy upgrade time!

Front: Stock (left) - Eibach (right)

I didn't have the special torque wrench tool torque up the top nut on the strut (couldn't use normal torque wrench as you need the hex key to tighten the nut at the same time as well), so I just did it up as tight as I could. 34nm is the specified amount, which isn't that much.

Installed:

Rear: Stock (left) - Eibach (right)

Allow me to show this diagram of the rear shock:

The spoon rear shocks that I got was missing the washer and the small tube that sits directly above the shock cover. Strangely, I couldn't take off the small tube, it seems to be locked in, therefore the washer below can't be removed.
    Looked the part no. for them, there is no part no. for them, they seem to be part of the shock itself.

The Spoon sussy that I got came with x2 'damper mounting washer' (top), which sits below the top nut, and x1 washer that sits on top of the shock cover (bottom, black)

So with my dilemma, I temporarily used the 'damper mounting washer' instead as the bottom washer. The actual washer which sits at the bottom is I think made of harden steel. Without the small metal tube, there is not support for the 'bump stop rubber' to stay centre, therefore currently my rear shocks aren't dead centred. I will definitely get onto the harden washer and the small metal tube. I will ask around.

For the left side spring, taking it out was quiet easy, but for the right side, the was no play, so I had to use spring compressors and with my foot stepping down on the base, it just came out!

Installed:

Right after install;

I will get another pic soon, just letting the springs settle down to its final height.

Arrived:

Put in DC2R shift knob. Them feels are good!

Last edited by 3K9; 13-12-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9