Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Best d16 gearbox for acceleration?

Is a y8 the best gearbox in terms of short gear ratios for acceleration?

And it comes with a 4.25 final drive and the y4 hasn't one?

Any issues swapping out a y4 gearbox to a y8?

It's just something to play with,build it up then put it in.

Stock flywheel machined to 12lbs.
    OEM Clutch
    maybe lsd

rebuild kit:

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Synchrotech...901?nav=SEARCH

This idea started because the rear main seal needs doing,not urgent. So gearbox must come out right.I could just replace the seal.

OR... It does have 350,000 k’s on it,hasn't been thrashed,no issues. But should I be thinking rebuild??

By doing this mod would it make a y4 with bolt ons accelerate much quicker?
    Last edited by beeza; 30-01-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    From my understanding yes the gearboxes that came on the y1 or the a8 where the "best"
    D series boxes all bolt up Except the A8 box as it runs an intermediate shaft which is a superior design.
    In terms of rebuilding, ditch the stock flywheel and get a proper light weight one, get a new good clutch exedy heavy duty organic is highly regarded and if you are talking about rebuilding the gearbox itself then buy a close ratio gear set and LSD and do away with OE all together.

Personally I think when u start looking at gearing to improve a SOHC you are getting into an aria that gets expensive with minimal returns especially when talking about OEM items. I would say save money and look towards a B swap if better power and acceleration is what you want.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks dave,I agree on the minimal gains,I've driven a few b's.. but 16a gearbox's are getting older and need their weak syncros replaced.

b18c2 gearboxs make the the b18c2 a nugget.

b18c7/r or jdm b16a sir 2 is my choice and really need a minor rebuild due to being thrashed.

Money money money.

B16b = Great engine but I bet they all need some repairs now or soon.

I need a reliable set up living out bush.

so im not just looking at gains.

The best option I see for another engine is to buy another car with a fully rebuilt engine/gearbox,they are out there. .

More money.

I love to work with what I got. This way = cheaper and rebuilt gearbox.

It will change the car and that's all I need to tie me over for a while.

I promise u if I got the mad vtec killer I would be bored with it in a few months and want to change things,that's my nature and many others I believe.

A lot cheaper to machine the stock flywheel. 350 vs 100

Close ratio gear set sounds sweet.

a heavy duty clutch seems overkill as I only have bolt ons.i don't want the clutch feeling heavy. . I love the stock clutch feel.

Has anyone got the gear ratio specs for the y4 nd y1 gearbox?

y8 specs - S40-K4F hydro

1st - 3.25
    2nd - 1.909
    3rd - 1.25
    4th - 0.909
    5th - 0.702

Final - 4.25

Dream is k-swap like everyone but $13.5k right.
    Last edited by beeza; 31-01-2016 at 06:08 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    As always I guess it depends what you have lying around,
    The b18c2 dose indeed have long ratios but look at the cost really
    These days you have a b18c2 engine swap in good condition for what 2-2.5k and in stock condition it's as reliable as a D series and make no mistake the B18c2 is better in every aspect than a D series, in fact for your application the b18c2 would be a good option since you would do abit of driving and live out bush, of the B series boxes its final drive is most suited to highway driving.
    By the time you buy and rebuild a D series box, new clutch and machine a fly wheel you are still better off but by how much and what have you really gained.
    I guess the point I making is that there arnt really VTEC killing D series anymore as B series can be had so cheaply that to build a D series up to the point that it's competitive you have already spent a significant amount of money.

Unless of cause you arnt looking to be competitive then things like building gearboxes and modifying stock flywheel is excessive to purpose of the car, it's money better spent buying the wife a nice bunch of flowers or what have you.

Edit: I know most dream of K swap but there are those of us that don't, there is a lot of work and money that needs to go into it to make it the unstoppable weapon the Internet makes it out to be, personally I think the B series is still a very good option for the money, in time the K will become more affordable but until then I think I'd prefer to just buy a car with a K rather than swap in a K.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 31-01-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Good stuff dave.

I was feeling that on the b18c2,as I drive 99% of the time in a 100km/h areas.

Hey,thanks a lot,that's good stuff right there.

+ rep 4 joo!!

Wont be online till tonight,low credit..

f#ck a vtec killer,b18c2,I agree,a nice improvement on the y4.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    TBH I am biased, they are a good engine with no major failings. Just maintain them and they are the goods.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Tbh just go bbk
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Or just reflash headers and bbk, don't let your brother have a go but or he will smash it. Then u will have an STI
    -Amant02

I daily a c2 and ratio's are fine. If you really wanna get all revvy, chuck a 4.9 in it :P

Use your existing box and get a mfactory or similar shorter FD.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Use your existing box and get a mfactory or similar shorter FD.
    x2, easiest option

your highway revs will be high through, but should definitely liven the car up without a massive expense assuming you're going to drop the box and do most of the work yourself, though you might need a press for the gears (don't know much about d series hehe), other wise you can take your gearset to a shop and they charge like 100 bucks to do it for you.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks for the input guys.

I like it.

does the y4 have a final drive??