Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

honda accord euro 2004/Cl9 - timing chain & steering

I've hit a 160,000km on my Honda accord euro lux 2004 but I'm worried about my timing chain. I know people say it lasts forever but if it breaks, im taking this car to the junkyard

timing chain
    1) How do you know when the timing chain needs replacing ? Is there any symptoms that I need to look for?

steering
    2) feels kinda dodgy. When I turn, it slips slightly and move on its own. You've got to grip it firmly on the steering to prevent it from flying into the bushes.

Thanks in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    1: 160k is not a lot of km for the timing chain. My DC5R has similar km and I've driven it on track many times for many years. Do not worry about it. Keep up the general maintenance on the car and fluid changes and you won't have a problem. I know of DC5Rs with in excess of 200,000km on the original engine, still driven on track, with no issues whatsoever.
    2: Something may be damaged in the suspension, or it may just need a wheel alignment. Go to a competent suspension workshop and have the suspension inspected and a wheel alignment performed.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Your ECU will pull a code when your timing chain is stretched too much.

You will also hear a sound like a mini chainsaw running in the back ground of your engine noise.

You have to be driving with no mechanical empathy for the chain to be damaged. Its the OEM chain tensioner which is weak.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    As above, you will get a CEL if your chain is stretched, unless you are quite unfortunate 2-1 shift when looking for third I doubt u will be snapping any chains. Some chains do just stretch abit over time but again you would get a CEL if it's out of spec.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Like amant says, if anything is going to fail in the timing side of the motor, it'll be your tensioner

As for your sussy, I'm going to guess that a lot of your suspension bushes need replacing, its getting to that age now, worth doing though, your car will feel brand new again, especially if you do all of your ball joints at the same time. First things first though go get a wheel alignment, even if it drives straight, and check your tyres pressures while you're at it
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I cannot believe it. These two are agreeing with me. I must screenshot this moment.

Nek desktop pic for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I cannot believe it. These two are agreeing with me. I must screenshot this moment.

Nek desktop pic for me.
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Yea like how u think 6k is gonna rebuild you a fully sik b series.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Yea like how u think 6k is gonna rebuild you a fully sik b series.
    And then the stopped clock goes right back to being wrong
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Dave why dont u call an engine builder and ask how much is for a basic rebuild. I think your about to be mind blown with my knowledge.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Dave why dont u call an engine builder and ask how much is for a basic rebuild. I think your about to be mind blown with my knowledge.
    I've had 2 customers engines rebuilt through the workshop this week, sounds to be like you are just looking to buy the most expensive stuff u can find or arnt being smart with your money
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627

Nek desktop pic for me.
    Smoke more bongs
    SSpamily