Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R

Noob questions re EK VTi-R

Howdy Honda folks,

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Suzuki bloke up to this point (Swift GTi Mk1, Baleno GTX, Ignis Sport), but I've managed to score myself a EK VTi-R just recently and am preparing to experiment with the VTEC-darkside. It's got 300,000kms, is not much to look at, and as you'd expect it has some issues. Issues aside it's bog-stock standard, everything works, it drives well, and that little B16A2 engine is a gem. I have plenty of questions though so time to hit the Noob forum..

Muffler - it needs a new rear muffler and an exhaust shop tells me all Civics of the era use the same muffler. For real? $260 fitted sound about right? Not interested in a fart-can but could be tempted by one with a mild purr/note. Any tips for a boring-looking but good-sounding cheap muffler? If they ARE all the same anyone got a standard one they want to sell cheap?

Brakes - do all models of EK Civic use the same front brakes and lines? The front calipers are slightly sticky and are gonna need a rebuild kit put through them. I would have thought a performance model (apart from having ABS and rear discs) would score bigger brakes and probably different lines. I suspect I'm going to need a new line passenger-side - it's not the same as the driver's-side and doesn't seem to be able anchored properly as it's too short to reach the mounting bracket. Zip-tie win for the previous owner

Lower timing belt cover - I need one. I can see some on ebay but am a bit concerned I might score the wrong one, seems the B16A2 is pretty rare. Any tips - all this bloody SiR and Del-Sol stuff is confusing!?

SRS light is flashing on and off in sync with bumps on the road so there's something loose somewhere. I've seen on the forum this happens to cars without a passenger airbag, but the VTi-R DOES have a passenger airbag, so is this a common fault? Would love if it was an easy fix..

All advice appreciated... Ta!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Hey mate, welcome to OzHonda. If it's just sound you are after then yeah, any muffler from the EK series should bolt straight on. If you think you'll be interested in performance as well you'd be better off doing the job right from the beginning and get a catback system. There are heaps of custom options to choose from as well as off the shelf kits for the EK4.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Not 100% sure on the muffler but I believe the brakes are different. VtiR should have 262mm front brakes where as the other models have 242mm I think.

The timing cover from any B16A should work.

The SRS light flashing might be a loose connection somewhere. You're gonna have to go digging.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Op The light flicking on with bumps is a bad sensor in the drivetrain area ( look at bad abs sensor on driveshaft ends) Or loose connection that separates under the impact.
    Do a ECU scan and tell us

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Op The light flicking on with bumps is a bad sensor in the drivetrain area ( look at bad abs sensor on driveshaft ends) Or loose connection that separates under the impact.
    Do a ECU scan and tell us
    Wouldn't that trigger an ABS light rather than an SRS light?
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    Wouldn't that trigger an ABS light rather than an SRS light?
    Dunno. Probably.

Get it it scanned and tell us , OP

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK VTi-R
    Will try to get it scanned.. curious to see what it says. Just keen to get the car back, bought it 4 weeks ago and should finally pick it up tmrw with sorted brakes. Needed new front passenger line and rebuilt front calipers.
    Can confirm VTi-R model front brake lines seem the same as standard EK (EDIT - mechanic stated they are very similar but slightly different - no locator tab and subtly different angles but they got it to fit without much effort), Honda dealer said brake line was "consultation part" which they said means "very unlikely" to get, so scored one from a wrecker instead. Can't comment on disc size, but pleased if they're bigger than standard :-)

Next:
    - New rear muffler - cool with standard, just want it legal - anyone got one in the garage?
    - lower timing belt cover

Optional:
    - new parcel shelf (dodgy hand-built thing in there)
    - sort SRS error
    - plastic pipe for back window washer is busted up the top of the hatch but haven't even confirmed yet whether water pumps that far (EDIT - yep - water flows, just need to fix busted pipe)
    - nice window trims would be good, but they all seem pretty bad on these models judging from the few I've seen out in the wilds

Am preparing the Suzuki for sale (mixed emotions :-) ) .. has anyone experimented with those $80 dent puller kits? Hit a kid on a bike late last year but no real damage done except to his ego (was his fault), my life expectancy, and my panels!
    Last edited by coastbeth; 13-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.