Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R

Do Australian delivered Hondas require Silicate free coolant?

So I came across some information online stating that Japanese vehicles require Silicate free coolant or the water pump seal will be damaged. Does this apply to Australian delivered vehicles or only the ones manufactured for the Japanese domestic market?

At the moment I'm running the green coolant in my engine but will happily switch to the blue silicate free one if necessary.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Green coolant:
    http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Coo...trated_Coolant

Blue Silicate Free coolant:
    http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Coo...trated_Coolant

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    From what I can find - all Honda's require silicate free coolant. You should use the Nulon Blue Coolant because it meets the Honda Type 2 Blue specifications and the Nulon Green doesn't. The official Honda Type 2 coolant is silicate and borate free.

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/HondaCoolant.html

"Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage.

Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages: No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minute wear."

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by ep3rsteve View Post
    From what I can find - all Honda's require silicate free coolant. You should use the Nulon Blue Coolant because it meets the Honda Type 2 Blue specifications and the Nulon Green doesn't. The official Honda Type 2 coolant is silicate and borate free.

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/HondaCoolant.html

"Some antifreeze, although labeled as safe for aluminum parts, may not be compatible with Acura cooling system components. Extensive research and testing by both Honda R&D and CCI, the manufacturer of the Honda coolant, have proven that the abrasive silicates and/or borates found in most domestic coolants can cause these problems:

Silicates bond to the surface of the water pump seal and act as an abrasive, causing considerable seal erosion and coolant leakage.

Silicates tend to gel and settle in the coolest parts of the cooling system, causing radiator plugging and overheating

In contrast, Honda coolant was designed specifically for aluminum engines. It contains an organic corrosion inhibitor instead of silicate. This superior formula gives these advantages: No silicate abrasion of water pump seals. For example, these graphs show the surface roughness of two aluminum water pump seal rings. Seal A, exposed to silicated coolant, shows considerable damage. Seal B, exposed to Honda coolant, displays only minute wear."
    Thanks, I hope there hasn't been much damage done to the pump seal and radiator.

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Flush and use new coolant. Easy done
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Will do. I'll try and take photos to upload in the DIY section too.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Don't worry to much man, just change it and she'll be right
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe