Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro

OEX Replacement Alternator - Avoid them

I purchased an OEX DXA561 replacement alternator for my CL9 Accord Euro after my original died - at 195k km.

A few days later the charge light warning indicator appear - would have missed if not for the audible ping. Soon these warnings appeared regularly.

I performed a drive test, logging the battery voltage over a period of approximately 30 minutes. The results illustrated several issues with the alternator:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DXA561 - CL9 Accord Euro Charging.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	29527

- Low and High output mode was not within the specified voltage range - Honda employs a dual charge charging system with a low output mode and a high output mode.
    - System voltage approaching 11V prior to intervention (i.e.turning on AC)with drops to 9-10V. Indicative of the alternator failing to maintain the minimum charge requirements of the car.

As labelled on the chart, low voltage readings correlate to increasing charge warning indications and eventual dropping out of the instrument cluster completely. I assume an engine cut-out would have soon followed. Fortunately, turning on the AC (or head lights at night), activates the 'high output' mode and maintained a sufficient system voltage level to keep the vehicle on the road.

I swapped the OEX alternator out with a Denso over the weekend and no more problems since. The OEX has been returned for a refund.

I also recommend this article for anyone interested in how Hondas dual charging system works (http://opensiuc.lib.siu.edu/cgi/view...text=auto_pres)
    Last edited by Kodak; 11-04-2016 at 05:03 PM.