Gear lever will not stay back - Manual box

Hi, I have owned a 2006 Accord Euro (Luxury model with manual gear box) since 2012. It currently has 219,000 kms up, it had 193,000 when I bought it. I have lurked around these forums on and off over that time, and today I joined (after searching) to ask about a problem I have.

Over the past few weeks I noticed that the usual solid click I felt in the gear lever, when changing gears was no longer apparent. That is, when selecting the gears when the lever is moved towards the rear of the car, 2nd, 4th and 6th. It felt normal when going from 2nd to 3rd, and from 4th to 5th.

A few weeks back, I had the car at a Honda Service Centre for the passenger side air bag recall, and I thought, if they had the centre console out, that maybe something wasn't sitting right with the gear stick cover. I took this off, and the ash tray out, and had a look. Nothing looked out of place with the gear selector mechanism, and I checked under the bonnet, and could not see anything amiss there. I went back to the Honda Service Centre, and they told me that they did not need to remove the centre console to do the job.

I then noticed that sometimes, when changing from 1st to 2nd, 2nd gear would not engage and the gear lever would not lock in, it would go back to the neutral position. I realised this happened if the revs were up over 4,000 RPM, if I moved off sedately, it would engage second gear.
    I tried to change from 3rd to 4th with the revs over 4,000 RPM and the same thing happened. Once the revs dropped down to around 3,000 RPM, it went into gear.

Now, I cannot select any gears that are towards the rear of the car, 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse. The gear lever does not lock in when trying to select these gears. I managed to get the car home OK though.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be something simple like a broken gear selector cable from the gear lever to the box?
    I think hoping for just a broken cable is wishful thinking on my part, because of the way it would not go into gear when revs were high, if the cable was breaking/broken, I wouldn't think the revs would matter. It gradually got worse, it didn't happen all of a sudden.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Darren.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro
    Maybe your clutch is not releasing completely.
    Sound similar to this post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288997
    some solutions that might help here: http://acurazine.com/forums/problems...-point-837892/

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak View Post
    Maybe your clutch is not releasing completely.
    Sound similar to this post: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2288997
    some solutions that might help here: http://acurazine.com/forums/problems...-point-837892/
    Hi, thanks for replying. I think the clutch is OK, because I can drive the car, it changes from 1st to 3rd, and from 3rd to 5th no problem.
    It seems like something has broken somewhere with the gear select for the gears where you move the lever towards the rear of the car.

If you put the lever into the 2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse position, and let it go, it springs back into the neutral position. Tomorrow, I will check some things on it, get someone to watch under the bonnet while I move the lever and see if things are moving at the gear box.

I am hoping this has happened to someone else (sounds bad saying that ) and knew where the problem lay.

Thanks again for your reply.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 VTi-R
    its your shifter cable for 2nd 4th 6th gear, shouldn't cost too much to get it fixed. easy fix.

Hello. I did not get to look at my car last week, or over Easter. I did get someone to move the gear lever into 2nd, while I watched the end of the gear change cable. The cable buckled to one side, and would not move the lever on the gear box.

Last night, I took the split pin out from the end of this cable, and it seems fine. Pushing it in and out moves the gear lever inside the car.
    I found I was able to select 2nd and reverse by moving the gear change mechanism on the gear box by hand. This was by grabbing, what looks like a counter weight, on the end of the lever and selecting gears. I could not select gears by moving the part of the mechanism where the cable connects. This part seems jammed.

I looked in the service manual, and saw there is a reverse lock out solenoid mounted on the part that is jammed up. I’m wondering if this could be causing the problem. Before it completely jammed up, it would only jam when the revs, (or speed) was high.
    I’m thinking of removing this, and seeing if I can then select gears. Anyone else removed this for inspection before? Any traps to look out for? It seems pretty straight forward.

If I don’t get anywhere here, I am thinking of looking further under the whole gear change mechanism, which is the main reason I’m back posting today. Does anyone know if I can remove the gear change mechanism while the gear box is still in the car? The manual says to remove the gear box first. I’m worried if I lift it out, springs etc. might go tinkle tinkle down inside the gear box, and then I won’t be able to drive the car to a mechanic. Or, I might not be able to get it back in, without having access to inside the box to get it to sit correctly.

Thanks for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26oyPv8.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	29496

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vFZWgj9.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	29497

An update. It turned out to be the other cable that was causing the problem, not the top one that was buckling. After speaking to a couple of transmission places, I went back and took the air box out, as well as the battery, and this gave me good access to everything.

I pulled the boot back on the bottom cable, and saw the cable was exposed, the top one had a hard plastic sheath, and you could not see the cable.

I removed the split pin, and pull on the cable, but it was not broken. I moved it back and forth, it seemed good. Then I saw the cable was no longer visible, and there was a hard plastic sheath, just like the other cable.

I put it back together and it drives normally again.

The cable must have popped out its end somehow. Maybe it is stretched. I'll take it easy, and hopefully I won't have any more problems.

Thanks to those that replied. I hope my posts help someone in the future.
    Cheers.

Last edited by Darren_2006Euro; 13-04-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    thank for update

good info for others