Thread: Colby's EK

Colby's EK

Hi all,

just recently got an EK CXi for $900 from a mates sister as a run around until I get a new job and something a bit newer. My plan after that is to probably use it a cheap motorsport car. I usually do things like motorkhana, hillclimbs, club track days etc. The only mods I've done so far are some 15" rims off my old corolla which sit really nicely, new tyres and a tacho dash.

Planned mods are dependant on my research, and information from you fine people and those at d-series.org. Based on what I did with my old corolla (AE92 levin, so FWD, light 4cyl, so similar type of car) suspension mods are the first stop, soa rear sway bar will be my first mod to get the car turning in better. The shocks and springs are pretty good, so will leave them. What's everyone's opinion on bracing? was thinking front and rear strut top bars might be the way to go.

Not sure where to go with brakes, is there an easy bolt on upgrade from the higher spec models?

As for power im not too fussed, i wanna keep it on the cheap side, and 88kw should be enough to have some fun. I've read that a Y8 head is doable, but for an official increase of 7kw i'm not sure if its worth it. I think I might be better off removing weight.

So far I'm loving driving this car, just feels really well put together, and sounds great revving past 6000rpm. Anyhoo, hers a couple of pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civicfrl.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	29556

Name:	civicfru.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	29557

Name:	civicrr.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	29558

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    kswaP
    part time potato

I've got front rear strut bracing and can't say it made much difference. Type R sway bar will do most good. I wouldn't go too big with brakes cause you'll add more unsprung weight. If you can get an LSD that will give you better traction out of corners. But yeah, for weight, lose the back seat, stereo, air con etc..

Member Array
    Car:
    Rolla Sportivo
    Weight reduction + engine swap = profit
    Lived the Prelude Life 13/11/13 - 15/09/15
    My 1998 B-84P Prelude VTi-R
    Now living Getz with Lift life - 05 Corolla Sportivo - Standard Sportivo Mod Shiz

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    Spoon crate 2.0 bseries motor will yield competitive laptimes
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    What about engine design by Kim Jong Un
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Depends what your budget is and how serious you want to take it.

Not planning anything too serious, as i said just motorkhanas, hill climbs, club track days etc. More about having fun than being competitive. Being a cheap slow car the budget is low, so reckon ill stop at rear sway bar and removal of non essential gear. Since the front rotors are already vented i might just get some better pads.

And don't forget #1 most effective mod: good rubber.

Member Array
    Car:
    Rolla Sportivo
    - Good tyres
    - Sway bar/s
    - Strut bar/s
    - Decent suspension setup
    - Weight reduction

Could do little things like intake and exhaust as well, up to you.
    Lived the Prelude Life 13/11/13 - 15/09/15
    My 1998 B-84P Prelude VTi-R
    Now living Getz with Lift life - 05 Corolla Sportivo - Standard Sportivo Mod Shiz