Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury

CU2 manual vs CL9 manual

Can anyone confirm if the CU2 manual Euro suffers the low speed jerky throttle response of the CL9 manual?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    So no-one has driven a manual CL9 and a manual CU2?

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    I wouldn't say that the CL9 manual has jerky throttle response... (iv got one and driven many).

they are a drive-by-wire throttle body so it is a computer deciding what to do based on your throttle inputs. as such the behaviour is not as a conventional mechanical throttle characteristics.
    try driving it in different ways and you might find you find a smooth behaviour from a different way. after all the drive by wire system is in many ways to yield a nicer drive than conventional systems.
    another example of this is the rev-hang on gear change. drive it like a normal car (in a sports way where you are managing revs) and it feels like shit. drive it like a standard driver that doesn't know much and it works well...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    Thanks for the response.

I don't really want to go down the "it's how it is driven" path. I am far from alone in finding the CL9's jerky DBW annoying, but am too lazy to link the many threads. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I fully understand what is happening with the CL9 manual's DBW throttle, but the fact is it is very jerky at low speed when getting on and off the throttle. The only way to avoid the jerking at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gears (for example, in a car park or stop-start traffic) is to de-clutch when trailing off throttle and re-engage the clutch when resuming drive in gear. Which is both tiresome in stop-start traffic and causes unnecessary clutch wear.

I am also familiar with DBW throttle systems in general. My Golf GTI has DBW and is silky smooth with no jerks at any speed or revs. Prior to the CL9 my wife had an Alfa 147 - and guess what - DBW throttle and silky smooth with no jerking. Clearly Honda's DBW low speed throttle mapping in the CL9 leaves a lot to be desired in comparison.

So I guess that leaves my question unanswered - is the CU2's throttle as jerky as the CL9's at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gears.
    Last edited by Splashalot; 21-06-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    i think again that you will just have to experiment with different ways of driving it as I certainly don't need to declutch and otherwise find it quite a nice drive at slow speeds and car parks.
    certainly there is some instances where there is a jerky response in some on and off throttle situations but iv learned them and so avoid those kind of inputs/situations that provoke and cause the jerkiness.

beyond this, have you ruled out that there isn't an issue with the system? because what you are describing seems extreme...
    have you check the throttle body and cleaned it? otherwise any diagnostic processes you can do on it to ascertain it is working properly?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    Yes, I have tried every technique I know of and have read about - some claim if you "blip" the throttle prior it will smooth out the transition. Hasn't worked for me. Nor has feathering the throttle or delaying input, standing on the accelerator, being ridiculously gentle with inputs etc etc. It genuinely makes the car near impossible to drive smoothly in car park type situations.

I've had the Honda dealer look at it and they report it as normal. The car has been like this since new and the demo had the same issue, but I mistakenly (and it turns out, foolishly) thought I would be able to find a remedy. It's my wife's car, so it only annoys me on the odd occasion I drive it. However, it annoys her daily. Because of the jerkiness we're thinking of changing it for a CU2, but I want to be certain that car doesn't have the same affliction. Nothing in any road test I can find makes comment, so perhaps not? If I could find a manual to test drive that would answer my questions, but down here they're like hens teeth in manual.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Have you tried
    a) driving another one or
    b) test driving a CU2?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    a.) Yes - it was the same as mine.
    b.) if I could find a manual CU2 in Hobart I would.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    been thinking about this mate and, aside from if your car might have some sort of an issue actually making it jerky, I was trying to work out how to explain how to avoid the jerky aspects of this cars drivability.
    In essence, iv come up with this. Basically, drive it like you would an automatic transmission. These FBW throttles on these have a lot of programming in them and part of that is the slow speed behaviour.
    In this, they have very good low speed smoothing and antistall characteristics. But- you basically need to drive it like an auto. So stop trying to clutch in so much or balance the throttle looking to smooth the behaviour. it just creates the jerkiness because the computer is trying to do it and the system ends up fighting you. You can cruise around carparks in 1st or 2nd with 0 throttle without it stalling or jerking. If you do need a bit more pace or to get up an incline use 5-10% throttle gently applied. Even then it is often not necessary as I find my car will smoothly go up a bit of an incline in 2nd no problems.
    That's it in summary but even beyond that many other elements are also smoothed out and make sense if you drive it like an auto and don't worry about it chugging or stalling, because it wont. Sadly, its less of an engaging drive for us true drivers as the computer is taking away alot of the inputs that enable a good driver to enjoy a car (and in this case it makes it worse...).

P.S. I find that the car has to be at operating temp to behave like this. If the engine temp is still coming up to normal it doesn't behave as nicely.

Good luck!
    Last edited by jjman; 27-04-2017 at 01:03 AM.