hi guys
i bought a little 4 cylinder honda jazz GD runabout the other day.

it's done 240,000 kms, but with a full log book and the condition is pretty good.

there was a slight sound of metallic chatter when i revved it/accelerated prior to me adjusting the valves. I did a bit of research and I tried to adjust the valves myself as they need adjustment periodically. I rang up the mechanic who had serviced it for the previous owner and it sounded like the valves had never been adjusted.

so i adjusted the valves, cleaned the throttle body and the EGR valve/pathways and the chatter is now gone but i am not sure if it's meant to sound this way (if it's normal for a honda/vtec engine or not). The exhaust valve measurements are meant to be about .010-.012 inches and i think i did it right around there but i may have loosened it more than that. before i adjusted it was probably .03 inches out (way tight, which apparently is normal from what i've been reading on the honda boards.. the intake valves were not that different from specs).

I am contemplating whether I should get one of those raked/bent feeler gauges and trying it again, but making sure that the clearances are the no go type where if the dimensions is .012, a 0.13 wouldn't go in.

here is a video of the engine at idle. note the ticking sound. i'm not sure if its misfiring, or if that is just the timing chain or the valves/tappets. i also revved it a bit to about 3-4k. I really am unsure if it's the vtec cams coming in, or if the exhaust valves are too loose. (first honda and i dont know anyone else with a vtec engine).

https://vid.me/zzvI

now i know its a honda jazz but i think other 4 cylinder vtecs might have a similar ticking sound?