Can I use tyre index 94V for Odyssey 2014?

Hi All,
    I'm having an Odyssey 2014 VTI-L. Two tyres got side cut and recommend to replace. They are all quite good as only done 10.000 km
    The original tyres are Yokohama 215/55 R17 98V. There is very limited tyre out there with index of 98V for this size (215/55 R17). I googled it but hard to find them.
    Some websites list 94V is compatible for this car model. Can I replace two of them with 94V or need to replace all 4 of them?
    Will this void the car warranty should anything goes wrong because of using different tyre from manufacture?
    The guy from honda services told me that insurance company may refuse claim if they found the tyres specs are not same as manufacture one. Is that true?

Thanks all.
    Ken

Stick to the load rating (98/750kg) and you can use a lower speed rated tyre - from S up.

For a claim to refused you would have to exceed one or all ratings of the tyre. In this case , you would likely be dead anyway with the tyre failing at 180km/h lol

Member Array
    Car:
    ED+HRV+CRX+CRZ
    Ken,

My insurance company told me that using tyres would definitely result in a claim refusal, IF it was discovered by the assessors.

My Honda mechanic, who is a master honda technician, told me tyres with too low a load rating, are 1: illegal to use, and the police will fine you if you are caught (highly unlikely) 2: dangerous (in extreme situations), 3: won't pass a road worthy, and 4: could void warranty in certain cases.

Stick to recommended (or bigger) load and speed ratings.

Me, I would go to 225/50R17, a bit wider, so more grip, a tiny bit smaller diameter, so ever so slightly better acceleration, ever so slightly worse fuel economy, and your speedo will be out by 1.5% Means at 100 kmh your speedo will be showing 101.5 kmh. Or if your speedo shows 100, you actually be doing 98.6 kmh, not a bad thing. Overall tyre diameter is 10mm smaller.

Kuhmo 225/50 R17 KU31 98W (a higher speed rating), decent budget tyre, only $150 a corner, not bad....

But you would have to replace all four.

QLD LAWS regarding tyre diametre:
    For a passenger car, passenger car derivative or ‘soft roader’ (an all-wheel
    drive vehicle that may be certified as MC ADR category), the overall diameter
    of any tyre fitted must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle
    manufacturer for that model

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Quote Originally Posted by corsa59 View Post
    Ken,
    My insurance company told me that using *non oem sized/rated* tyres would definitely result in a claim refusal, IF it was discovered by the assessors.
    Best advice.
    Call your insurance company and ask.

PS my way is working on a technicality...but you cant argue with the facts above !

Member Array
    Car:
    ED+HRV+CRX+CRZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Best advice.
    Call your insurance company and ask.

PS my way is working on a technicality...but you cant argue with the facts above !
    Yes, sorry, I did mean to say "tyres with a load rating or a speed rating LESS than the specifications on the tyre placard inside your door".

You are legally able to use tyres with a bigger load rating, or faster speed rating, and you can legally change tyre sizes as long as the diameter stays within your states rules, and the width can be safely fitted to your rims.

Thanks all for your comments.
    To be safe, I will replace with the same or higher load rating and speed index.