Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Just read it a few times,it's spot on.I think if you removed the 'therefore' it reads better.

The thermostat is a engine temp regulator..

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Lots of interesting theories here. Many moons ago I once ran an XYGT I owned, without a thermostat and it made no real difference except for a very long warm up on cold mornings.
    But those cars had no computers controlling fuel mixture etc, unlike nowdays, where engine temperature is critical in the computer control systems fine tuning of the fuel mixture.

The problems one can have with reliable engine running, if a temperature sensor goes bad, is enough to give one ulcers (: ( Happened in my daughters Toyota--- took us days to trace the problem.)

Our Euro has been into the Victorian Alpine region in Winter and around rural central NSW in Mid Summer, without any cooling issues.

The gent who looks after the mechanical side of our car is an ex Gibson Motorsport engineer (from the days of Mark Skaife and Jim Richards and then Craig Lowdnes when he crossed from HRT to Ford) and knows what will and will not work, to get top performance out of a car, be it a "set the points and plugs gap and ensure that the correct jets are fitted in the carby " (and then leave it alone) to a modern day computer controlled, fuel injected engined vehicle. I will be getting him to sort out the radiator flush when the time comes.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    *"set the points and plugs gap and ensure that the correct jets are fitted in the carby " (and then leave it alone).

Haha nice nice!!

Ahhh shoot,those days,the cars were so much more user friendly.

Now,it's computers and seemingly more complicated.

It took me a few years to get my head right round it,it does make the journey more rewarding though.

My mate has a 1927 chevy tourer.Talk about simple,I think that car is epic.Advance/retard ignition timing on the steering wheel,open top,will go places our civics and accords cant go,85km/h on wooden spoked wheels that flex!!
    And the cool factor,check it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsu7NU2lo4A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Wx6V6ZGwM

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Love it ha ha....A REAL car that doesn't look like every other car on the road.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Awesome aye He completely restored it,stripped completely and rebuilt it.He has all the parts to build another one,the frame is under the house.

It opened my eyes hahaha

Super easy to drive where the model T of the same era was Difficult and dangerous.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    The thermostat only speeds up the warm up period to reach engines operating temperature. It doesn't regulate the temperature. You may notice a difference with its removal only if the thermostat is faulty, partially open or the thermostat is too restrictive (doesn't allow the designed amount of fluid to flow through). Many older cars have a thermostat that failed shut, its removal will ensure that a thermostat failure doesn't overheat the car.

What determine the temperature is the engine heat load and its cooling system (mainly radiator size, fan, travel speed). Other minor things that could influence the temperature a little include water flow (pumps, restrictions), water to coolant ratio, etc...

With this, I am wondering why electric water pump is not part of all cars. With sufficiently sized radiator it will control engines temperature much better, which could eliminate the need of a radiator fan.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux
    Probably because of longevity and reliability issues.
    If the electric motor packs up, goodbye engine. At least with a belt driven pump you get longevity.
    Mind you, many early cars, right up to the early "low light" Morris Minor (with it's pre WW2 designed 850cc side valve engine) did not even have a water pump and coolant circulation was done by "thermosyphon" effect.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Regulate,meaning maintain the temperature because without it my cars coolant temp hardly moves at all.

All the differences I noted on the previous page,wasn't faulty.

What car/cars did you try it on Martin?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Haanda,the water pump driven by the timing belt on my car,forces the water through the system.When the thermostat is shut,there has to be a build up of pressure in there,major pressure I would imagine. ..

Doesn't it make sense to remove that pressure if there are no consequences. Which I have found none.In fact I believe when I back of the throttle my car doesn't lurch forward,cause no pressure needs releasing.

Also sending a load of cool water through the engine after being quite warmer causes spikes in temperature.That's not good.
    Last edited by beeza; 07-11-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I changed from honda blue to normal green coolant 5 years ago. And I just change it every 3 years in a 50 50 mix.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    I changed from honda blue to normal green coolant 5 years ago. And I just change it every 3 years in a 50 50 mix.
    Mine came with green when I bought it so have been doing the same as well every 3-5 years..... still do a full flush everytime though.

Our newer honda has blue, on the fence about swapping it over as well

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Don't you wanna pay top dollar for the oem stuff?

I heard you can have all sorts of problems if you don't use oem LOOOOOOL