Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord

5th Gen 2.2 VTI Auto "clunk" in shifting.

The car has been making this noise for about ten years, but apart from annoying, it hasn't caused any issues.

The 5th gen auto box on my 1994 (US made) Accord Wagon is know for harsh shifts. Never liked the gearbox.

Symptoms:

1. Driving off, car often makes a heavy "tick" going to "clunk" sound during the first gear change. It sounds more "sheet metally" than solid if this makes any sense.
    2. This is especially noticeable after reversing and then driving forward.
    3. If you reduce acceleration just before the auto-shift, it will shift gently and not make this sound.
    4. It can happen during any other harsh shifts, randomly (can't make it happen, otherwise)
    5. Sound is definitely louder outside the car than inside.
    6. A lesser variant of this sound can he heard (you have to know what to listen for) when going from accelerate to coast.

Observations:

1. occurrence reduced after I replaced both drive shafts & CV joints. Now it will pretty much only do it from 1st to 2nd.
    2. Brake parts are good and do not show any wear from sliding along rotational path.
    3. Front wheel bearing play is tight, ball joints are good.

Suspects:
    Exhaust flex joint?
    Engine or gearbox mount?
    Differential?
    Body flex / fatigue crack somewhere?

No matter what I shake and move I can't seem to make the car make this noise standing still.

If anyone has had any similar issues please let me know how you fixed it.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I had a similar issue Richard when I had the auto box,the automatic transmission cable was too tight . adjusted the cable and smooth shifting there after.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Wow. Thanks.. I never would have thought of that. I'll have a look at how much slack / play it has and adjust to suit.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Your Welcome mate.

Should be adjusted like the throttle cable . I've heard it being referred to as the 'kick down cable',it definitely fixed mine.
    Last edited by beeza; 25-02-2017 at 06:24 AM.