Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic CXi

Gday from Adelaide

Gday forumites. I found this forum while looking for info about the EK1 so I thought I'd join up and join in.

I'm an old retired geezer (don't believe the avatar) who made the fortunate decision to buy a Honda 21 years ago and I still have it today. It's a May 96 build CXi that I bought in August 96 from the dealer. I used it a bit while I was still in the workforce but a lot less since I retired. As a result it has only just clicked past 40,000 km.

A couple of years ago I thought I should make a decision about getting something new, but, given how little I drive it made more sense to keep the Civic. I'm also fortunate that a while ago the guy renting the house next door was a Honda service tech who had just left the dealership to set up his own Honda tuning and mechanical shop. So anyway he did all the service items (timing belt, water pump, seals etc) to make it like new. I threw some rims on (had the steelies until last year) and had a pre-sale detail done so I can keep driving it with pride for another 10 or 20 years. Its basically a new 96 Civic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car-01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	30045

Name:	Car-02.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	30046

Name:	Car-03.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	30047

Name:	Car-04.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	561.8 KB 
ID:	30048

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Hi Mal,Welcome mate.Good story,Honda build great cars,we all know. Yours is too clean,it does look like you just bought it! Can't say I'm a fan of the rims but each to there own as they say.

So Mal,do you think you could catch the modifying bug 'old retired geezer'? hahahaha

Modifying a car doesn't always mean to make it go fast,could be a nice comfy recaro sr3 seat and nardi steering wheel etc . modifying means customizing really.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Welcome pal,

that's in amazing condition,belongs in the Smithsonian!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ahahahaaaa Ryan!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic CXi
    Gday Beeza ... I tossed around the idea of a mild performance upgrade. I would have to take advice first but maybe some options chosen from engine chip, intake and exhaust might just sweeten it up a bit. Having put those rims on I wouldnt mind a bit of a drop in elevation - they leave a lot of blank space in the wheel wells. Then sensible Mal says "ah but you shouldnt mess with an original car". I hadnt really thought about interior mods but you have planted a seed. Cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic CXi
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Welcome pal,

that's in amazing condition,belongs in the Smithsonian!
    Thanks mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    BEWARE it's a hell of a drug LOL!

But I don't regret any of it . Pretty sure you have the d16y4 non vtec.Same as mine.,well for a couple more weeks. ...I'm finally putting a DOHC in my car,the famed b18c7 engine.

Anyways it can get a bit expensive modding,mine has been a slower journey which allowed me to enjoy each change to the car and that makes me appreciate it more because I don't forget the times the car was before the upgrade. All depends on your driving style really. Mod it to suit you. I miss my kombi and sleeping anywhere in the van soooo I put a bed in the back of my ek civic sedan 96 gli and have been away in it heaps,adds up to 6+ months in 4 years.

Racecar/camper!! Now THAT'S Modding/customizing

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 Civic CXi
    Enjoy your VTEC upgrade - iirc vtec was available on the 96 coupe (VTi ?). I considered that and wish now Id stumped up the extra 4-5k. As for a camper mod - well when I was born I was driven home in Holden 48/215 with the factory camper body option. Nothing new eh!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I had to Google image that one BUT I know it,what a ripper car design. Just wow aye,I mean they just will ALWAYS look sweet.

It's cool to see you in here man,good for you.

Looking forward to swapping some knowledge and stories with ya Mal.