Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic RS 2017

Honda Civic 2004 ES1 - Input Shaft Bearing?

Hi Everyone,

There has been a slight growling noise in my 2004 Civic that has gotten slightly louder since its inception a couple of months ago.

Slightly concerned, I took the car to my trusted independent who said it was a "noisy gearbox" and needs to be replaced.
    He suggested buying second-hand as a brand-new gearbox will cost too much. Current K/M is @ 195,000.
    He quoted me $1000 for the part and $500 for labour. Ouch.

Now if I had the money spare, I'd probably be having the repairs done as we speak. But as it's not easily accessible, I figure I should do some research first to ensure it's the right choice.

After some research, I think I've narrowed the issue down to the input shaft bearing in the transmission. However I'm no mechanic nor enthusiast, so I'm hoping someone can help confirm this or point me in the right direction.

I've posted a 5 minute (dark) video to YouTube. You should be able to hear the noise quite clearly, particularly when the clutch is depressed and gear engaged. Just ignore my mentioning of clutch engaging/disengaging -- whoops.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yWNBfpSUko

So, a few questions:
    1. If it is the input shaft bearing, is replacing the entire transmission the best option? And if so, is $1500 reasonable?
    2. Otherwise is it possible to just replace the damaged input shaft bearing(s)? And would this be much cheaper? (Considering labour)
    3. If it's not the input shaft bearing, do you have any other suggestions/possibilities?

Thanks guys -- really appreciate anyone's input on this.

Andy

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    "Throw out*bearings*(TOB) usually make*noise*when only when you press the clutch pedal. The reason for this is, it is the only time it is engaged and actually can make anoise. ... A*noise*from the*input shaft bearing*will raise and lower with engine speed, and not with vehicle speed."

Sounds like a bad ISB mate . People have driven 30,000k's with the noisy thing,so it shouldn't leave you stranded just real annoying.
    Cheapest option is to pick up a working 2nd hand one as it's not an easy job to replace.
    Swapping a gearbox is easy,it's just bolts.Youtube vids walk you through it. Grab a mate and a few beers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic RS 2017
    I'd love to own the confidence you have with cars beeza. You make it sound like walking through a park but just with a bit of wind and rain added. I suppose that's how my clients feel when I help them with IT problems...

By ISB, can you confirm what that means specifically?
    And just to confirm, you're recommending a full replacement of my manual transmission? If so, what's the best resource to confirm the part number (and maybe where to purchase...eBay?). I'm very new to all of this if you can tell!

Thanks for your help!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It took a few years,like you computer wizards!

Input Shaft bearing.

Try wreckers and Gumtree first,wreckers list their parts on gumtree too.That would be quickest too.
    You could start a Wanted to buy thread on here,can be quick or a couple of weeks if someone has.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yes yes,swap the whole tranny,it's not an easy job to change the ISB.

You should also change rear main seal at minimum. The only other parts that are possible to swap while it's out are clutch (includes throw out bearing) - oem equivalent off ebay.
    And flywheel.But no worth doing if you drive on the highway because it revs too high. Just good for acceleration.So the flywheel can just be refitted if taken out to change the clutch.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic RS 2017
    I just watched a video on swapping a Honda Civic tranny. Definitely enduring!

And thanks for clarifying ISB. I should've connected the two LOL. *Facepalm*. So at this stage, it's safe to conclude my research proved useful.

I'm looking for used tranny's now online. Also made an enquiry to Hondworld (found on this forum). Maybe they can recondition it for a cheaper price. We'll see!

Thanks for getting back!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Your more than welcome Andy!

Clutch off ebay (competition clutch do oem Eqivelent) rear main seal from honda - OEM,Gearbox from wreckers. Take it to a mechanic to install

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a