Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Accord Euro 2003 Steering Rack Question

Hi guys.

I have a 2003 Accord Euro Luxury that needs Power Steering Rack and High Pressure Hose replacement. Mechanic has quoted $985 for the Rack, $463 for the hose and 6 hours labor. I'm sure hose cost is pretty much standard but would it take 6 hours to replace both those?

Also, I have found a second hand Steering Rack from a 2007 Accord Euro - does anyone know this would fit? If not, how could I find out - are there part numbers in a service/field manual?

Thanks in advance. (Note, car has done 260,000 kms so deciding whether to fix or retire!)

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Retire or not..... I think it depends on the condition of the car, ie how it was maintained and how it was driven. If it has been well maintained, it should last a long time (350K KM +). Has the oil for the engine and transmission been changed regularly?

I would think 2007 euro should fit your 2003 euro. The 2005 onwards model has cosmetic upgrade (some might disagree) with minor tweaks in the engine department. You should also ask the seller if the hose is also for sale.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Probably just needs a rebuild kit.

I looked into this for my 96 ek civic . You can buy the ps rebuild kit from ebay.Ended up talking to a place that rebuilds ps racks.$395 if I drop the kit and rack off.$695 if they did the removal and install.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    $463 for a hose!! Grab one at a wreckers for $20,take it back to him and tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine.

463,where do these get off.f#@kin' 463 dollars,leave me alone.

Here's the kit for 07/03 onwards build date..When was yours built?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1493439841344
    Last edited by beeza; 29-04-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Hi guys.

I have a 2003 Accord Euro Luxury that needs Power Steering Rack and High Pressure Hose replacement. Mechanic has quoted $985 for the Rack, $463 for the hose and 6 hours labor. I'm sure hose cost is pretty much standard but would it take 6 hours to replace both those?

Also, I have found a second hand Steering Rack from a 2007 Accord Euro - does anyone know this would fit? If not, how could I find out - are there part numbers in a service/field manual?

Thanks in advance. (Note, car has done 260,000 kms so deciding whether to fix or retire!)
    Why did you think that you need to replace the steering rack and high pressure hose?

Thanks Martin77.

To be honest, I have let it go over the past few years as the km's ticked over 200,000. Figured it was more cost effective to run into the ground and as such, there are a number of minor issues that I can live with that I haven't fixed. So yeah, condition is pretty poor.

Thanks for the link Beeza. I was under impression $400 was going rate for high pressure hose. Had it done once before for about the same and 2 quotes this time for the same.

Your right though, if I could find one from a wrecker and get someone else to install.

My Euro was built 2003

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    $463 for a hose!! Grab one at a wreckers for $20,take it back to him and tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine.

463,where do these get off.f#@kin' 463 dollars,leave me alone.

Here's the kit for 07/03 onwards build date..When was yours built?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1493439841344

Took it to a auto shop, (not sure if you can name on here?) and that is what they said was wrong and the quote. Total came to $2,337.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin77 View Post
    Why did you think that you need to replace the steering rack and high pressure hose?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    With the hose, pirtek or ryco might be able to help. I'm not sure how much it costed at the end.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...+steering+hose

Also please ensure that when your mechanic change the fluid it needs to be Honda compatible oil (Honda oil or Penrite HPSO) as the viscosity is different (thicker) to reduce oil leaking problem. I don't know if there are good additive that might help to swell up rubber o'rings and gasket.
    Last edited by Martin77; 29-04-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Took it to a auto shop, (not sure if you can name on here?) and that is what they said was wrong and the quote. Total came to $2,337.
    Doesn't matter about naming as many businesses STILL are ripping people off.THERE'S NO LAW SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST,is there?

Get a new mechanic.

He knows he can fix it with a rebuild kit and hose from wrecker,cost 150 + labour.Can you see he makes his money by praying on ones who have pride in their luxury cars and don't mind shedding a pretty penny on their pride and joy.

Do you think that he knows he can do it A LOT cheaper?

Take it to a reputable mechanic and find out for sure it's a rebuild kit you need.

You can pay a mechanic $30 or so to find a problem for you,then go away and find the best solution. Don't let them jump on your lack of knowledge cause that's the dishonest mechanics sweet spot.

Feel me?

btw there's people on here that will do it for you and they won't lie to you and rip you off like your trusted mechanic is doing.

After you fix it cheap make sure you go back there and let him know that you understand how he is taking the most expensive route. Also known as ripping people off.

Yeah, it was Kmart Auto, (which was the closest shop I knew of when the steering went). At the time I asked if they would fit a second hand part if I sourced it, but they said they couldn't due to the policies.

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Doesn't matter about naming as many businesses STILL are ripping people off.THERE'S NO LAW SAYING YOU HAVE TO BE HONEST,is there?

Get a new mechanic.

He knows he can fix it with a rebuild kit and hose from wrecker,cost 150 + labour.Can you see he makes his money by praying on ones who have pride in their luxury cars and don't mind shedding a pretty penny on their pride and joy.

Do you think that he knows he can do it A LOT cheaper?

Take it to a reputable mechanic and find out for sure it's a rebuild kit you need.

You can pay a mechanic $30 or so to find a problem for you,then go away and find the best solution. Don't let them jump on your lack of knowledge cause that's the dishonest mechanics sweet spot.

Feel me?

btw there's people on here that will do it for you and they won't lie to you and rip you off like your trusted mechanic is doing.

After you fix it cheap make sure you go back there and let him know that you understand how he is taking the most expensive route. Also known as ripping people off.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    The policy of getting top dollar!