Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power steer pump makes more of a whine - a bit like a blower sound. It should get louder as it loads up when turning the wheel. What's the fluid look like? If you're convinced its the ps pump, try flushing the fluid to see if that makes a difference.

Also where did you get the rebuild kit? Is there a vehicle guide anywhere? All my suppliers only want to sell me an overhauled pump.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It's not easy to find,I was going through this but did an engine swap so problem is gone..

I replaced ps pump,ps and alt belt,changed ps fluid, bought an auto stethoscope and sounded like it was coming from the 4 yr old water pump but still wasn't sure! I've had the tensioner pulley go and it was a loud bearing failure noise. This sound was more a low hum electrical noise that was there some days and not others. So annoying because you know if not fixed it can cause more problems.

I have an occasional thrust bearing noise now so meh New heavy duty clutch so bearing probably just needs re-greasing and refitted.

I would take it to a reputable mechanic to diagnose.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks for that.
    No, the whine is not related to the steering mechanism and the fluid looks clear and not aerated. I replaced the fluid about 12 months ago.
    I ordered a few things today (belt, water pump and steering pump seal kit) and hope one of them will fix it.
    You can buy the kit from ebay ($68+$15 postage) but I bought mine from RockAuto.com and that costed me $42 delivered (sure, it won't be here straight away). Does anyone knows exactly the cause of the power steering whine. Is it the o rings? Is it worth applying thin vacuum/silicone grease to enhance the seal?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    There's an o ring that needs replacing. Where the PS hose meets the pump.

Google it there's YouTube video about thaf

Otherwise pump bearing
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Great price Martin. I just read somewhere that honda changed the compound of that O ring seal so it should be fine now.Noise is bearing whine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks Fred and Brett.
    I will have a look at a new bearing. I'm pretty sure when I looked a few days ago, the original bearing is NTN 6203 LU. If this is right, LU (instead of LLU) contains only one seal (the other side inside the pump does not have the rubber seal). Is it better to replace it with a traditional bearing with seals on both sides to keep the grease contained?