Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010

Smelly Car - plastic cleaning? Leaking something?

Hi All.

I am owner of a Honda Jazz 2010

When I open the window while driving, it creates vacuum and circulates the air from the rear boots and all, and it stinks like half petrol, half 7-years-over-the-shelf-life perfume. it gives me a headache. With the aircon on, its not too bad.

Previous owner sprayed some black gloss stuff all over the plastics, boot coverings and carpets.
    I have changed the internal cabin filter, wiped off as much as possible warm soapy water. Because it is so thick, i only managed to have only 1/4 of them off.

is there any good method to remove those black coating stuff?

Also, I am suspecting some leakage in the car or something since it smells bit like fuel/oil/exhaust.... have anyone experienced something similar?

Cheers
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    Put some open container of baking soda in there for week,it absorbs odours
    FFamily

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Park your car in the hot sun whenever you can, with some sort of ventilation plumbed into the car to exhaust the volatiles.

If the carpet was coated like you said, the largest surface that is emitting the smell will be the carpet. A really hot high detergent carpet wash will help. Perhaps rub in a good carpet / fabric stain remover into the carpets first. Covering the carpet with another carpet protection will also limit the exposure of the stinky stuff into the cabin.

I had a stinky car that I rubbed about a Kg of bicarb into the carpet to combat years of spilled stuff.
    Last edited by Richard B; 19-10-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahByuddy View Post
    Put some open container of baking soda in there for week,it absorbs odours

Thank you for the idea.

Would rub it in the carpet and then vacuum it out work?
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    The more surface area, the more effective the smell absorption.

Rubbing it into the carpet gives the bicarb a larger contact surface, and if indeed the previous owner sprayed the carpet, the coated carpet fibers are likely emitting the largest amount of smell in the car. Having bicarb very near the major source of the smell will simply put more of it in contact with the bicarb.

Bicarb soda is white, so you may see as white dust it on black carpets. If you want to get rid of it after some time, a good strong vacuum will remove most of it. You will probably need to wet shampoo the carpets to fully get rid of it.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by happymatch View Post
    Hi All.

I am owner of a Honda Jazz 2010

When I open the window while driving, it creates vacuum and circulates the air from the rear boots and all, and it stinks like half petrol, half 7-years-over-the-shelf-life perfume. it gives me a headache. With the aircon on, its not too bad.

Previous owner sprayed some black gloss stuff all over the plastics, boot coverings and carpets.
    I have changed the internal cabin filter, wiped off as much as possible warm soapy water. Because it is so thick, i only managed to have only 1/4 of them off.

is there any good method to remove those black coating stuff?

Also, I am suspecting some leakage in the car or something since it smells bit like fuel/oil/exhaust.... have anyone experienced something similar?

Cheers
    There are cabin filters impregnated with carbon and baking soda. This may also help.
    https://www.amazon.com/CF11182-Fresh...honda%3Afit://