steering/suspension issues CL9

hi guys, I'm starting to pull my hair out...

I'm having some suspension/steering issues with my 2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury AT CL9. I believe there is more than one issue but they may all be related. I have an intermittent clunk/rattle from the front end and a random intermittent metallic bang when reversing or with the wheel turned going over a bump. There is also some intermittent squeaking from the steering wheel (sounds like the steering column under dash) and a mysterious vibration through the steering the first time I turn the steering wheel when the car is cold (I can also feel this through the steering wheel and accelerator pedal) like a seal on the rack has bound up and then regained shape or a bearing is cold and gets moving again. I've been pulling my hair out trying to diagnose it, I've checked the tie rods, ball joints, swaybar mounts and links and strut tops but to no avail. I've been under the car 4 times with a crow bar prying on things to move and feel for play. Also since the issues are not easily replicated it makes it even more difficult to find. Although they are slowly becoming more frequent. I am fairly mechanically minded, but I'm getting to the point where I can't seem to make any headway. I want to check the top ball joints, struts/springs (to see if one is coming slightly out of the seat and then popping back in with load), steering rack adjustment (HAS ANYONE EVER ADJUSTED THEIR RACK GUIDE USING THE SPECIAL TOOL?), engine mounts, transmission mounts and every possible rubber mount even remotely connected to the steering/suspension system. My gut tells me the issue is within the rack, but anything is possible. Has anyone had similar issues at all? and before I get the simple suggestions like...check your tyres, pads, calipers, discs, etc.. it's all been done. My car has been religiously serviced and looked after since new, which is all the more perplexing why these issues have come up. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys and many thanks in adcance!

Pete

I rang my local honda service centre to try and get some more information on the rack guide adjustment... so it appears as though, for at least this service centre, they have never adjusted one. In fact, they've only ever replaced one rack in the last 5 years on a CL9. Apparently not a very common item to have an issue with. He said more commonly there are issues with lower control arm bushes (checked mine already), struts, and engine and transmission mounts. I wont totally discount the rack yet, but obviously it's the hardest job of them all, so I'll give the control arm bushes another check, and suss out the condition of the engine and transmission mounts this weekend. Hopefully the more time I spend under there, the more likely I'll be to discover something. I'll keep updating this post with further information as it comes to hand, but any experiences from members would be gladly appreciated.

also here is the special tool and brass nut where u can adjust the rack guide

wont let me upload pic..
    Last edited by petegangies; 20-03-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Lower control arm is a common issue in those cars, so your mechanic is correct. could be a bolt loose or bushing completely gone.

Also check driveshaft and CV boot

oh also front sway bar bushing and endlinks.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Lower control arm is a common issue in those cars, so your mechanic is correct. could be a bolt loose or bushing completely gone.

Also check driveshaft and CV boot

oh also front sway bar bushing and endlinks.
    swaybar bushings and end links are ok, checked those.. will double check bushings again but everything look visually ok, and no movement with pry bar. CV boots are good, and no vibration at speed so I don't think driveshaft related. Going to give it another solid going over for the 4th time again this weekend! Thanks for the response mate!

ok, upper transmission mount is shot, and also on second inspection I think the swaybar bushings could do with replacing and they're cheap enough so ordered some new ones of those too. Will install both and see what difference it makes.

swaybar bushings replaced with Nolathane ones and new transmission mount installed.. WOW what a difference.. problem solved. Car is like new again