Spoon Vtec Controller?

hey fella's
    thinking about buying a spoon vtec controller for b16a2.....

what do you's think of these??

are they worth the cash?

and do they just alter the vtec crossover?

thanx in advance

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen II CRX
    They can be expensive, depending where you shop

Like a boost gauge alters how much boost you run...
    The v-tec controller alters when the V-tec kicks in, i think its usually 5900rpm? Some one please confirm this

I'd reccommend one if you have the cash, but not entirely neccessary, depends how hard you drive your car. Mate has one for his Vtir Integra, set at 4700rpm

Think they cost around $700-800

Goodluck with it all
    - Scott

Member Array
    Car:
    Red Rocket SSV
    a VTEC controller is totally useless unless you have done MAJOR engine work, now when I say MAJOR I mean extremely larger cams, pistons etc. etc. etc.

pretty much a whole engine change, and your car now revs to a higher RPM etc.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH A VTEC CONTROLLER if you have a standard or minimal modified vtec engine, the crossover from factory is set to that point as it is the optimal position, changing the position on a normal engine can cause damage to your engine.

so NO I WOULD NOT RECOMMENT ONE unless you've gone out and spent thousands apon thousands on engine modifications.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    for a few extra hundred buy a power FC and plug it in. THen you can have future mods tuned also.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr crex
    a VTEC controller is totally useless unless you have done MAJOR engine work, now when I say MAJOR I mean extremely larger cams, pistons etc. etc. etc.

pretty much a whole engine change, and your car now revs to a higher RPM etc.

DO NOT BOTHER WITH A VTEC CONTROLLER if you have a standard or minimal modified vtec engine, the crossover from factory is set to that point as it is the optimal position, changing the position on a normal engine can cause damage to your engine.

so NO I WOULD NOT RECOMMENT ONE unless you've gone out and spent thousands apon thousands on engine modifications.
    i'd have to agree.. Honda didnt just go "hey frank, where you wanna make the cam lobes switch over to VTEC ?".

Plus the Spoon VTEC controller doesnt allow for any a/f correction or ignition correction for the changeover..ie. your ECU wont really recognise it's in VTEC any earlier/Later apart from the fact it has been told to change lobes.

The VAFC at least has the function to compensate and trick the ECU to think it's running relatively normally and therefore compensate a/f maps and ignition etc. Plus the VAFC has VTEC "off" function which I think would be more valuable.

the newb whos' saying Spoon VTEC controller costs $600-700 ?? whoa man !! I'd like to sell YOU stuff heheh. I've seen used Spoon VTEC controllers go from $100 - $250 MAX.

Just cause it's a SPOON part doesnt mean it's tha bomb. If anything, get the Spoon VTEC controller for JDM Bling value. it's dial goes in your dash where the sunroof / demister controlls go and it looks OEM but says SPOON.. looks cool, doesnt do much.

also, lowering VTEC to say 4000RPM aint goin to give you extra power down low necesarilly.. you need to do some research into what VTEC is and how it works and you'll find that if anything you'd want to prob RAISE your VTEC point on a modified motor to make gains..

Member Array
    Car:
    HONDA
    i got somthing like tat in my car, neva use it be4.. came with da car when i bought it

dose it look like this?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    ohh man that's sweeet.. yeah that's the one.. it also has a little ECU-like box (white) that is prob under your dash panel..

u want to sell it ?? hahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    HONDA
    er... i didnt see any white box under my dash panel, and da switch is not connected with anythin.. so i guess da previous owner must sold it or wateva it happen to it, since da car has other vtec controller. maybe da switch just for da JDM bling bling look. if u want, hit me with a good price. (i wont let it go cheap).. becoz i love JDM!! :P

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSiR
    i got somthing like tat in my car, neva use it be4.. came with da car when i bought it

dose it look like this?

hmm.. just wondering.. ive got a DCR vtir and ive got the same switch next to my handbrake! it doesnt have a brand! but i dont know what is it used for? anyone help?