Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Euro] Short Ram Vs. Normal Box w/ K&N Filter

What are your opinions.

I'm too lazy to go the full CAI, and probably don't want to risk anything on the car at this stage. Plus probably save $ on not going the full deal.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    What are your opinions.

I'm too lazy to go the full CAI, and probably don't want to risk anything on the car at this stage. Plus probably save $ on not going the full deal.
    Forget changing the panel to K&N - I seriously doubt you will notice much difference unless you take out the resonator. Full CAI is great - but remember it is much louder than stock - I saw someone call the Injen the angry elephant at WOT - it is so true!!

Don't go short ram - it gets good results on the dyno but the gains start to dissapear in real life driving and there is a hot engine bay. The K series motor likes cold air - not sucking air from a hot engine bay. Have you noticed how hot it gets under the bonnet after a 30 minute drive! It is unbelievable how hot everything is.

I say go ICEBOX!! I have seen the light and loving the Icebox. I thought it might be just "ok" before I got it - now I have it - it is FANTASTIC! It is less than $250AUD shipped and you get a washable panel filter included. The response it great and the car sounds meaner! There is ZERO loss down low unlike the Injen or K&N. It is like a new car! Woo hoo. Highly recommended and I wish I did it earlier. Apparently the Icebox has very little risk of hydrolock too - I don't know the technical reason why but it is a bonus.

If you are sitting in 2nd gear and want some acceleration in the stock car it is quite gradual - it is good response but you need to wait until revs hit 5000rpm before things really happen! With the icebox I feel the difference in acceleration as soon as I kick the acclerator - it is no longer gradual response - it is instant.

ps. - Nick and Euro77 - remember those 2 small silver Comptech pieces used with the stock screws on the box? Wouldn't you know - today they fit easily with the stock screws. I think the box has softened up a bit with the heat - had no problem today screwing the stock screws down all the way. Worked first time!
    Last edited by yfin; 01-05-2005 at 04:19 PM.

Alright. Time to find an ICEBOX!!

Where abouts are you in Melb? i might need a hand getting rid of the resonator.. i hear its a pain in the butt

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Alright. Time to find an ICEBOX!!

Where abouts are you in Melb? i might need a hand getting rid of the resonator.. i hear its a pain in the butt
    Go for it. I am in SE Suburbs - but I am not the man to help with the install as all I did was remove the front rim! If you have the tools and follow the K&N Typhoon instructions you will be fine.

I still love HONDA! Array
    Car:
    Black8
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    ps. - Nick and Euro77 - remember those 2 small silver Comptech pieces used with the stock screws on the box? Wouldn't you know - today they fit easily with the stock screws. I think the box has softened up a bit with the heat - had no problem today screwing the stock screws down all the way. Worked first time!
    Hey that's good news then
    At least it won't be another wasted parts LOL
    maybe it "somehow" has also settled in properly. Probably try tighten the other 2 screws (which has the 2 silver pieces to start with) if you haven't.
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Ronin, if you need help removing the Resonator, I can do that for you as I'm pretty versed with it now LOL!

Yfin - Good on ya... Mmmm You must still be excited by the box that you went mucking around with it again LOL!
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 01-05-2005 at 09:56 PM.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Car:
    Black8
    What are your opinions.

I can definitely suggest comptech icebox after having a testdrive in yfin's car.
    like you, I'm lazy to go full CAI, so maybe one day I'll go with comptech icebox. but for the moment, I'm still waiting for more aftermarket intake products to show up for CL9. I hope ARC will make one some day
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1, CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroAccord13
    Ronin, if you need help removing the Resonator, I can do that for you as I'm pretty versed with it now LOL!
    ....err... the Resonator........
    i dunno how u can remove it without taking off the front,EuroAccord13.
    i just took off the resonator yesterday... have to took off the front bumper to do it.... took me 3.5hours to do it.... is lucky tat i able to put it all back together (i am very tired now)
    EuroAccord13... is it possible to teach me how to remove the resonator without taking off the front bumper? thx

Last edited by learner; 01-05-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    I'm sure Yfin and Euro77 can vouch for me, I removed the resonator without taking out the Front Bumper ..

It's rather easy now come to think of it.. The two screws that secures the resonator, one is easy to remove, the other is harder but I found that it can be done through the fog light cavity... All it needs is a bit of nudging and tender loving touch
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 01-05-2005 at 10:18 PM.
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by learner
    EuroAccord13... is it possible to teach me how to remove the resonator without taking off the front bumper? thx
    Why do you need to know now after you have completed the job?!

Car:
    Black8
    Quote Originally Posted by yfin
    Why do you need to know now after you have completed the job?!
    just in case he needs to put it back on, then remove it again one day?

yeah, nick pulled of the resonator without removing front bumper. got a bit of a help though nudging the resonator out
    euro77 by Jimmy (toE)

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by euro77
    just in case he needs to put it back on, then remove it again one day?

yeah, nick pulled of the resonator without removing front bumper. got a bit of a help though nudging the resonator out
    Yeap! with Euro77's help, it was out in 2 mins instead of the usual 5 mins of non stop nudging! LOL!
    Last edited by EuroAccord13; 02-05-2005 at 10:14 PM.